Launching macro based on value of a cell

CHawk

Is there anyway to automatically launch a Macro every time a particular cell changes from False to True? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Example:

'Right-Click on a Sheet Tab > View Code
'This is called a "Worksheet_Code module"
'Paste this code into the open white area
'Press ALT + Q to close the Visual Basic Editor

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub 'Assumes Column A any cell

If Target(1, 1).Value = "True" Then
    MsgBox Target.Value 'Replace with your code here
End If

If Target(1, 1).Value = "False" Then
    MsgBox Target.Value 'Replace with your code here
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I am very new to this and have 3 questions for you.

1) The cell that is updating True or False is Cell I11 I am not sure from what you sent me exactly where I enter I11 as the cell.

2) The cell may update True, True, True then False, Then True Again. I only want the Macro to launch when it changes from False to True not when it changes from True to True. Will the code you provided do this?

3) The macro that I want do run is called LogES. Where in the code to I put this macro name?

Sorry for such basic questions and thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
This will ask you when the cell value has been changed to true, if you want to run the "LogEs" code

'Right-Click on a Sheet Tab > View Code
'This is called a "Worksheet_Code module"
'Paste this code into the open white area
'Press ALT + Q to close the Visual Basic Editor

Code:
Dim ans As String
If Range("I11").Value = "True" Then
    ans = MsgBox("Run the LogEs code now?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Title")
        If ans = vbNo Then Exit Sub

Call LogEs
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank-you. That worked but can the msg box be eliminated. I won't always be at the computer and want it to just run automatically. Cell I11 is changed via a DDE realtime link.

Upvote 0
This should take care of it, the reason I put the mesage box in is that it will run if it changes from TRUE to TRUE, not sure how to prevent it if it already contains TRUE then gets changed to TRUE again, because to run automatically, it runs offa Worksheet_Change event, wihich means it will run when the cell I11 value changes, even if it changes to the same value it already contains, I have to see what I can come up with to prevent this but for now here it is without the msgbox:

Code:
        Call LogEs
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks Justin. With the changed code -- and i guess it was happening before as well -- it runs the macro if I11 is True and any change is made anywhere on the entire spreadsheet . Since many fields are updated continually via DDE this won't work as it will bog down my computer. Hope you are successful coming up with a way to run the macro only if changes from False to True. Thanks for all your help, Cathy

Upvote 0
Not sure why I forgot that part: try this,

Code:
If Target <> Range("I11") Then Exit Sub

Call LOGES
End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Couldn't you have a static variable, which would be set to the cell value on workbook open, then in the worksheet change macro you would 1st verify that the changed cell was the cell of interest, then 2nd verify that the current value is <> the static value.

If both above conditions are true, then is the new value = True? If so, then assign the static vriable as True, and run code; otherwise, just change the static value and exit.

Upvote 0
Justin, For some reason that code change caused the macro not to run at all. Do I need another end if statement somewhere?

Also, Just_jon, as you can probably tell from my posts I am not much of a techie. I am not sure how I would code what you said. Also, The worksheet stays open most of the day, would your solution work if the cell value changes all day long but the worksheet is only closed at the end of the day?

Thanks, Cathy

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelMA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back