Removing Multiple Instances from Data Validation Lookup

ammdumas

Hope there's an easy solution for this...

Have a validation look-up box (showing review numbers) on a form referring to the 2nd column of another sheet '=INDEX(SUMMARY,0,2)'. By picking a review number from the look-up on the form, the form grabs various info from all rows that have the same review number. The only annoying thing about this is that the look-up shows EVERYTHING in that column, including multiple instances of the same review number.
Is there any way to make the look-up only show one instance of a review number? The help is much appreciated. :pray:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Ummm :oops: How do you do that? Can you use IF or COUNTIF functions within validation? Or is it something else?

Upvote 0
ammdumas said:
Ummm :oops: How do you do that? Can you use IF or COUNTIF functions within validation? Or is it something else?

If SUMMARY refers to a range that is static (a range where calculations take place) and you want to use the distinct set of items from its 2nd column (as the INDEX formula you posted indicates) in many data validated cells, I'd suggest invoking a formula system that creates a list of distinct items on the same (or on some other) sheet. Do you want to see an example?

Upvote 0
ammdumas said:
yes please. :pray:
Book4
BCDE
2ItemIdxDistinctItemList
3Y0021Y002
4Y0072Y007
5Y0063Y006
6X0074X007
7X0045X004
8  X005
9X0056Y004
10Y0047X002
11X0028W004
12X005 W001
13Y002 Z006
14W0049X001
15W00110Z007
16Z00611Y005
17X005  
18Z006  
19X00112 
20Z00713 
21Y00514 
Data

Formulas...

C1 must house a 0.

C3, copied down:

=IF((B3<>"")*ISNA(MATCH(B3,$B$2:B2,0)),LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,$C$1:C2)+1,"")

D1:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,C:C)

D3, copied down:

=IF(ROW()-ROW(D$3)+1<=$D$1,LOOKUP(ROW()-ROW(D$3)+1,C:C,B:B),"")

Now you need to create a name that refers to the range in D.

Activate Insert|Name|Define.
Enter DList (or some such) as name in the Names in Workbook box.
Enter the following in the refers to box:

=Data!$D$3:INDEX(Data!$D$3:$D$56536,MATCH("*",Data!$D$3:$D$56536,-1))

Click OK.

You can invoke

=DList

as Source in a cell that you want a dropdown list using data validation.

All this can be set up to be fully automatic on Excel 2003. Are you on Excel 2003?

Upvote 0
Ha! That would mean my company actually being 'with' the times. Nope. Still using Excel2000.

I'll have to try it manually. In any case, I'll give this a whack and see if it works. If not...not a HUGE deal. It would have been a really-nice-to-have more than anything. At least the similar values will never be scattered. They'll always be together (in bunches of 2 or more) and in a sequential order (hey, I wonder if that makes your formula easier?). Thanks for all the help. Cheers. (y)

P.S. I'll be in your neck of the woods in April (Arnhem)

Upvote 0
ammdumas said:
Ha! That would mean my company actually being 'with' the times. Nope. Still using Excel2000.

I'll have to try it manually. In any case, I'll give this a whack and see if it works. If not...not a HUGE deal. It would have been a really-nice-to-have more than anything. At least the similar values will never be scattered. They'll always be together (in bunches of 2 or more) and in a sequential order (hey, I wonder if that makes your formula easier?). Thanks for all the help. Cheers. (y)

Don't worry. The system will work as advertised and grouped values won't make any difference.

P.S. I'll be in your neck of the woods in April (Arnhem)

That's close enough to where I live.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back