What is wrong with this site? (SPAM)

Re: Spam

Y'know we hit the ol' hiccup here or there, from time to time. Be it a bug, or a problem spammer. This isn't the first time, nor the last time... If you've been here a while, experience should tell you that the admins and mods are doing their utmost to resolve the issue. Rory in particular is working like a machine to remove the spam posts. He and Starl are investigating further behind the scenes to find out more about this and see if they can come up with further measures. Some IP's have ben banned, banning other IP addresses would affect legitimate users. There are discussions around enhancements to the forum software, though no decision can be taken without a lot of background work - we've learned our lesson when it comes to upgrades and extensions!

I haven't been about much so I've been missing all the fun! But thanks Rory, Starl, Joe and all the other active mods. This one seems like a real b*stard!

Glad to know your working on this. Thanks for providing this forum.
Y'know we hit the ol' hiccup here or there, from time to time. Be it a bug, or a problem spammer. This isn't the first time, nor the last time... If you've been here a while, experience should tell you that the admins and mods are doing their utmost to resolve the issue. Rory in particular is working like a machine to remove the spam posts. He and Starl are investigating further behind the scenes to find out more about this and see if they can come up with further measures. Some IP's have ben banned, banning other IP addresses would affect legitimate users. There are discussions around enhancements to the forum software, though no decision can be taken without a lot of background work - we've learned our lesson when it comes to upgrades and extensions!

I haven't been about much so I've been missing all the fun! But thanks Rory, Starl, Joe and all the other active mods. This one seems like a real b*stard!

Thanks for the feedback Jon.
I didn't think for a minute, nothing was being done, but darn it's frustrating for users !!
I, along with many others, appreciate the efforts of all the moderators.....I've been one ( albeit in a much smaller environment )...(y)
You obviously need to get Rory working.....he's sitting around doing nothing.....apparently....cheers Rory, keep at 'em..:LOL:

Last edited:

Apologies - having a stressful morning!

We are, as Jon said, doing all we can and looking into a number of options. It's a lot of work to keep on top of it at the moment but I'm sure we'll get there - and we do appreciate your patience! :biggrin:

Dear All

We had 3 threads addressing the same issue (spam). I've decided to merge them to suit a single discussion.

I have also written this post in the announcements forum as an attempt to describe what it is we do to combat spam, and explain how you can help: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/887032-dealing-spam-spammers-new-post.html

Sorry for the current inconvenience - we're doing our utmost to address this issue. And thanks to the countless members who continue to report found instances of spam - you're a tremendous help. :)

Apparently not all of the mods have the ability to delete all the posts from a given spammer in one swipe. Might that not be part of the solution?

News to me! If that is the case I'm sure we can change his permissions. I doubt part of the solution though given that the Mods that are most prevalent here have super mod rights. Drop me a P.M. if you like and let me know who you are referring to.

See post #12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back