This is a discussion on Excel 2007 Locking Up on me within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Here's my hardware / software set up: HP DV6000 series laptop Intel Core Duo CPU T2450 @2.00GHz 2 GB Ram ...
Here's my hardware / software set up:
HP DV6000 series laptop
Intel Core Duo CPU T2450 @2.00GHz
2 GB Ram
Vista Home Premium
When using Excel 2007, I have a repeated problem with my software "not responding" when doing some real basic stuff. Example: highlighting 120,000 cells (cells are empty) and for some unknow reason, my software stops resonding. I am able to continue use of other programs so I don't think it is a RAM or hardware issue. The file I am working with is about 14 MB's.
It does come back to life after 10-15 minutes but I get the same response after saving and trying to continue.
I have done the obvious: close all other programs, reboot etc.
This is driving me nuts!
Any insight is appreciated.
I feel your pain! I was having similiar problems almost every time I used excel. Just today I found out the problem might be because of add-ins. I just un-installed them and so far I haven't had any not responding errors.
You can check to see what add-ins you have by opening excel, clicking the office button, then excel options, then Add-Ins. It will show the active add-ins at the top. You can then go to manage and on the drop down click COM add-ins and click go. Then un-install if you want.
Mine was a duplicate remover add-in that I purchased when I had an older version of excel. I believe it was the cause of my problems, not sure if an old add-in could be yours. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice. I checked it out and I to have an add in from a previous version. I got rid of it and it appears to have solved my problem!
Thanks for the advice.
Same thing was happening to me...
I disabled "Formulas inconsistent with other formulas in the region" and it started acting all zippy and snappy...
Hope this helps.
Actually, we found a second solution. We had pasted text from an internal website.. just by copying and then clicking "Paste" in Excel.. This defaults to Pasting HTML. What we found was that we should have clicked "Paste Value" in a new spreadsheet.. We then copied the pasted values and pasted them into our working spreadsheet. It resolved all response issues... Evidently when we copied the text from the internal website, we also copied HTML formatting which slowed everything down. By pasting values only.. it cleared up all performance problems.
I hope this helps!..