how can I have excel show me the numbers used in formulas

wagmanm

Board Regular
I would like to see the numbers being used in a formula. I know that I can show the formula with Ctrl and the button above tab `. is there a way to show the numbers instead of the cells? ex. 1 + 2 = instead of A1+B1 =

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I would like to see the numbers being used in a formula. I know that I can show the formula with Ctrl and the button above tab `. is there a way to show the numbers instead of the cells? ex. 1 + 2 = instead of A1+B1 =
Will all of the cell references always be on the same worksheet as the formula?

Upvote 0
No the formulas I want to see reference cells from many worksheets in the workbook. the 1+2 was just an example, the formulas are much more complicated and i was hoping to be able to see the actual equation that is being used in numbers with parentheses.

Upvote 0
No the formulas I want to see reference cells from many worksheets in the workbook. the 1+2 was just an example, the formulas are much more complicated and i was hoping to be able to see the actual equation that is being used in numbers with parentheses.
Because of the way Excel is structured, figuring out cell references to other sheets in order to retrieve the data in the cells is remarkably cumbersome and quite time-consuming to work through, so I am afraid I do not have a solution for you. Maybe someone with a pre-developed code procedure will come into this thread and help you out. Sorry, but I do not have the time to spend doing what I know will be a quite lengthy coding chore.

Upvote 0
The code in the main article will not work for what wagmanm wants to do (off-sheet references); however the first link that dougaj4 provides in the comments looks like it will work so wagmanm should look there for his solution (I am not sure about the second link... while it only works on a single cell, its code looks deceptive too simple to me, but I have not tested it to know for sure). Anyway, thanks Armando for finding that webpage for wagmanm (and me).

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help everyone, im looking into this links in the comment section. However this is a lot more involved than I was hoping it would be. Ill let you know if i find my solution.

Upvote 0
However this is a lot more involved than I was hoping it would be.
That is what I told you... Excel's exposed object model (for programmer's to use) for tracking cells on other worksheets is "cumbersome" to say the least. Actually, I am surprised the code is not longer than what is shown in that first link.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back