16 Player Double Round Robin with 16 Different Games

Parasoner

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am organizing a tournament for my friends next month and I am struggling to create the schedule that I have in mind.
We are with 16 people and we will play 15 two vs. two games. Everybody should every game with a different partner and everybody should play 15 (out of 16) unique games.
I found the double round robin format which helped me to create a schedule where everybody plays every game with a different partner.
However this format is designed to play several rounds of the same game and not to let everybody play a different game every round.
This results in everyone playing several games 2 or even 3 times.

I hope somebody can help me out!

If someone is looking for an extra challenge. We are actually with 19 persons, so ideally I would like to create a schedule with 18 games and then have people not playing some rounds.

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Welcome to the Forum!

This is a specific case of the more general Social Golfer Problem.

Have a look at the generator here: Golf Pairings Generator: Play All Golfers Scheduler - GolfSoftware.com
which produced the following. Replace Player 20 with a bye, and I think you have what you're looking for?

Golf.png

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Forum!

This is a specific case of the more general Social Golfer Problem.

Have a look at the generator here: Golf Pairings Generator: Play All Golfers Scheduler - GolfSoftware.com
which produced the following. Replace Player 20 with a bye, and I think you have what you're looking for?

View attachment 18402
Hi Stephen, I followed your link and entered "Golfers play in 4 some" since we will be playing 2 vs 2 games.
However, I am not sure how I should use this. There are only 5 "tees" but we need more time slots to get everyone to play all 19 unique games.
It also shows the number of times someone plays the time slot. How can I use this to create schedule?

Thanks for your help!

1594982761419.png
1594982805710.png

Upvote 0
Ahh, I misinterpreted the question, sorry. Now that I re-read your original thread properly, it clearly says two vs. two games.

I am guessing that it's possible to construct a schedule for 20 players playing 19 two vs two games, such that each player meets every other player exactly three times, i.e. once as a partner, and twice as one of the opposition pair.

But the algorithm would need to be reasonably sophisticated, as the number of combinations rules out a brute force approach.

It would be an interesting exercise, but would take far more time than I have available. Sorry, I can't help any further.

Upvote 0
There are standard 'whist' schedules for doubles play - this is the mathematical term. For example there is a generator here at devenezia.com - click on 'whist' and then 16 items

With 19 players there is an odd number of partnerships to play (there are 171). But since every game has 2 partnerships, the all-partners-all aspect can never be perfectly balanced.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back