2-way lookup for a range of values with SUMIF ???

waterconsultant

Sorry for this trivial problem, but it has me stumped. Trying to SUM a range of values in the range C2:G4 depending on 2 criteria. a) the test value of the row in Row 5. In this EXAMPLE the target value is "XX", and any matching column occurrences of XX need to be summed across the row. b) There are also 3 possible scenarios, High, Medium, Low. Say the scenario is 'Low', and therefore the formula below returns 12+14 = 26, BUT I have 'hard-coded' the row in C4:G4. What I can't fix is how I introduce a lookup/match function so that I can change the row number (i.e. 2, 3 or 4). Any solution is fine as long as I keep some form of offset (reason being that this data block is repeated across the sheet, and therefore the offset position (currently A1) also moves.

=SUMIF(OFFSET(A1,4,2,1,5),"XX",C4:G4)

(sorry folks, every time I carefully format the data, preview completely trashes the layout. Don;t know how to fix that :mad:

A B C D E F G

2 High 20 50 30 10

3 Medium 15 10 11 25

4 Low 12 14

5 DD XX YY BB XX

<tbody>
</tbody>
Any support very gratefully appreciated.
Brian F

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Here's one way:

=SUMIF(INDEX(OFFSET(A1,1,2,4,5),4,0),"XX",INDEX(OFFSET(A1,1,2,4,5),3,0))

OFFSET(A1,1,2,4,5) will reference the whole C2:G5 range. By using 0 as the column number within the INDEX function, you're able to reference a full row within the array.

You'd just need to replace the 3 near the end with 2 for Medium or 1 for High. Or, have an input cell for Low/Medium/High and use a MATCH formula to determine that number so it's not hardcoded in the formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Narrian

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back