2010: Duplicates not being highlighted in email field

MsCynic

Board Regular
Hi folks, I've combined several spreadsheets into one file for an email campaign.
Previously I've got around the import of duplicate addresses by using highlight cell rules and showing which addresses are already there.

But today I am finding duplicate email addresses are not being highligted. I've selected the whole worksheet, removed all formatting and still have identical addresses not showing up as per this screenshot: http://imm.io/akrp

What am I doing wrong? Please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Jo

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I've had troubles with this when some of the data had a blank space at the end and others did not. That will make them look the same but have a different "actual" value.

Upvote 0
Ah yes that's it. Thanks.
Now I'm grappling with the trim function. I can't seem to get it working on a whole column of email addresses. Any tips?

Upvote 0
Glad to help. I know that invisible spaces can be quite frusterating. I've scratched my head with that on more than one occation. Now to remove them. From your screenshot it looks like the column containing the email addresses should contain no spaces whatsoever. If that is correct, It may be easier to select the entire column, use the find and replace tool (ctrl+H), and replace all spaces with nothing. Might be easier than to trim, copy, and paste values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MedDash99

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back