text to columbs formula

cyote101

hello folks, I've searched the help files and could not locate what i'm looking for.

i have a cell with ":Manager:California:Soap:Jerry Harding"

now what i'm looking for is a formula that can lookup the 2nd value in the cell the one after the secound colen and before the third colen. so for this example we want to lookup the secound value so "California" is reterned

I would like to be able to change a value in the formula so it would lookup the 4th or 26th and so on, value in the Cell.

Thanks
(y)

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
If this is a one time thing, used for 1 column and always the value between the 2nd and 3rd colon, this works...

Code:
=MID(A1,FIND(":",A1,FIND(":",A1)+1)+1,(FIND(":",A1,(FIND(":",A1,FIND(":",A1)+1))+1)-FIND(":",A1,FIND(":",A1)+1))-1)

Don't ask how it works, I already forgot.
I'm sure somebody else has something better. LOL.

Upvote 0
A terrible, terrible, long formula, but should work as long as the first item in the list is *always* preceeded by a colon:
Book1
ABCD
1What value would you like to find (enter number)2
3:Manager:California:Soap:Jerry HardingCalifornia
Sheet1

Formula in B3 is:
=IF(OR($B$1<=0,$B$1>(LEN($A3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A3,":","")))),"",IF($B$1=(LEN($A3)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A3,":",""))),MID($A3,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE($A3,":","@",$B$1))+1,255),MID($A3,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE($A3,":","@",$B$1))+1,(FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE($A3,":","@",$B$1+1))-FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE($A3,":","@",$B$1)))-1)))

I went with entering the value in a cell so it can be easily changed. Just enter the value you want from the string (1,2,3, etc.) in B1 and it should grab it.

Upvote 0
Hi

Here's an alternative:

=TRIM(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(REPLACE(D26,1,FIND("@",SUBSTITUTE(D26,":","@",3)),""),":",REPT(" ",100),1),100))

you need to replace the bolded 3 with whatever instance number of ":" in he string you want your word to start at.

Upvote 0
Heh. I knew there was a better way than my monstrosity. I would have never thought of that, though. Have to (try to) keep that little trick in mind... :)

Upvote 0
Thanks, I would never have even come even close!!!!!

You guys rock, This is very usefull for me. Thanks

(y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y) (y) :pray: (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back