2ndary X-axis -- possible?

nbrcrunch

First off, I always get the two confused. I am referring to the X-axis as the horizontal line and the Y-axis as the vertical line.

I know that a 2nd Y-axis is possible in a chart. I have noticed that there is provision for a 2ndary X-axis label. But I can't find if it is possible to actual display a 2nd X-axis.

Here is situation:
Along the bottom x-axis are dates over a period of 3 months.
Along the left y-axis is the scorings of ServerUtilizaton (free-space). There are a dozen or more servers included in the report.
Along the right y-axis is the scorings for the number of active users per day

To make it simple, I limited it to just a single month and a single server . The resulting chart makes sense and is visually understandable. It shows the relationship between server space as opposed to the number of users logged on. When free server space was low, the number of users that day was high. Alternately, when the number of users was low, the free-space on the server was up.

The only way I can make sense of the mess of trying to add multiple servers on the same report (my supervisor's request) and to add multiple months is to find a way to design a 2ndary x-axis running along the top of the chart that splits it into each server. Then I might possibly be able to add another 2 or 3 servers to each chart and only ending up with 4 to 6 charts instead of a dozen or more.

I also know that this scenario would cause a saw-tooth-effect line between each server. And this WILL be easily misunderstood as by upper mgmt reading the stupid thing. Nonetheless, I have beat my head against the wall for several days on this and am not coming up with a solution.

I actually found that in this case it made more sense NOT to use a pivot table. After creating a pivot table the data did not make any sense whatsoever.

I'm in classes for 3 days and won't be able to check here often.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
well, don't know if this will actually solve your problem, but in general, to get a secondary x axis you plot, say, 2 series, select one of them & plot on secondary axis, go to chart | chart options | axes - select secondary x...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back