"39Th Ann Thomas St" How to make it 39th but keep the Thomas?

mintz

Board Regular
I have this sample string for a street address:

39Th Ann Thomas St
Ann Thomas 39Th St
Ann Thomas St 39Th

How to convert the 39Th to lower-case (th) but keep the Thomas in PROPER-case? (Th)

The __th position is dynamic, could be anywhere in the string, in the beginning or middle or end

I want to use SUBSTITUTE(A1,"XTh","Xth") where X is any digit/number - what do I need to write instead of the X so that the SUBSTITUTE replaces "Th" with "th" only when it comes after a digit/number?

Last edited:
I just tested it with "Earth St." it still works! Do you have a few more examples you think will be sloppy with the formula? I'll try them and see what happens!

I think it will work in most cases, it searches for "Th " then replaces it with "th ", so only a problem if you have something else that ends in "Th "

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I just tested it with "Earth St." it still works! Do you have a few more examples you think will be sloppy with the formula? I'll try them and see what happens!

Yeah, ignore that. I overthought it and reversed the capitalization. Can't think of a situation where you'd have capital T then lower h than space if it's not an ordinal suffix, but you might still be interested in considering Rick's suggestion for learning purposes.

Upvote 0
Can you make use of VB code? If so, give this UDF (user defined function) as try...

Code:
Function ProperProper(S As String) As String
  ProperProper = StrConv(S, vbProperCase)
End Function

The code works great, first time I use VBA code so I followed your instructions and it works like magic! I'll use Oak's just for convenience but I've saved the code and will definitely use it on different occasions!

Yeah, ignore that. I overthought it and reversed the capitalization. Can't think of a situation where you'd have capital T then lower h than space if it's not an ordinal suffix, but you might still be interested in considering Rick's suggestion for learning purposes.

Indeed the first formula does it all, I won't look further!

Thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back