5 difficult access questions - for a newbie anyway....

kermitklein

Hi!!!

Sorry for the newbie type qustion ut I don't know where else to turn for help..

Let me give you a little background into what I am doing, FIrst I was struggling to choose between excel and access to do this and the n I figure access would let me do this a whole lot better than excel can at this moment int time. WE have @ work a paperbased form that we use when our main system goes down to log and book jobs for engineer visits., We then fax this to sevral offices thoughout england and scotland - now you can imagine the paperwaste when we take anything from 400 to 12000 jobs. first all the info to written manually and then for these to then be faxed over to another office.
The form will have the following fields
Name of customer
Address
Postal code
telephone 1
telephone 2
Job patch code
Call centre agent name
call centre agent extension
Call centre manager name
Call centre manager extension
Date of call taken
Time of call taken
Job type chosen from 3 drop down boxes ( 1 for type of job), 1 for type of appliance, 1 for type of charge)
job date
job time (chosen from a drop down list)
Additional job detail

Problem #1
There are going to be multiple people using this min 12 max 7000. what is best to be used in this case, a plain regular form or a data access page?
Also a couple of the field need to be automatically generated from an excell sheet (ie agent name, agent extension, agent's manager name , agent's manager extension, this file will be stored on the users personal drive P:\

Problem #2
Can Access generate a calendar for the date to be chosen instead of being inputted manually?

Problem #3
Depending on the combination of the job type combination (problem, appliance and charge code) can excel impose a restriction on the job date, so certain job types can have availability for next day whilst a comnbination of other jobs would have availabilty in 2 or 3 days time (NB this facility needs to have the fuctionality of being overriden and need something like a popup box saying the date should be 3 days later but need be can be changed to the next day ifa managers approved it.

Problem #4 the job type combination, there will be 4 values for problem namely value a, b, c ,d and 8 values for appliance type, 8 value 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 7 types of charge code AA,AB,AC,AD,AE,AF,AG,...
Is there anyway if for example the problem type has value a then list for appliance will only have values 1-5 showing and values AA to AD showing for the charge code?

Problem #5 a new table needs to be created at the start and end of every shift - this needs to be manually done so is there anyway we can export the content value of the main table to an excel spreadsheet then this can be saved in 2 different locations for backup

problem #6
AS you might or might not know british postcodes are aranged in 2 parts part A and part B - part A in the form LLNN NLL or rarely LLNL NLL where L are letters and N are numbers I would need access to automatically look for the patch from the postcode list. This is in an axcel sheet but can be easily transferred to an acccess table the only problem being postcodes conatins the above format but our patches only rely on the first 4 or 5 digits ie LLNNN or LLNLN to find the code - if this porblem cannot be solved, we can always input in manually.

problem #7
After all jobs have been inputted I need the jobs to be sent to a particular excel spreadsheet this can be doen one ofeither ways, either a control button from access which will creat an autmated table with an automated filename as well as today's date or a button from excel to improt data form I take it this would be an access query which would show jobs for today for a particualr area or jobs for tomorrow for a particular area. but this will be needed i a predesigned excel spreadsheet where for example the name would go in cell A3 and the patch code in A1 as an example.

I will be most grateful for any reply you could give me..

PS anybody know any good access course that I may be able to do either classroom based or distance learned? As you can see it will be best if I started form the beginer level.

Cheers ppl (y) (y)

:pray: :pray: yours in eternal gratitude :pray: :pray: :pray:

Kermit Klein

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
There are going to be multiple people using this min 12 max 7000.

If I was you I would actually look at something other than Access.

Most of what you ask in your following questions can be done in Access but if you are talking about up to 7000 users then I fear you may run in to problems.

Previously I have created databases with forms etc that have been used by say 2-3 people and they've ended up getting corrupted for a variety of reasons.

Upvote 0
I agree with Norie on the multi-user issue. Access was never designed for the number of users that you intend to throw at this solution, but it can still be a useful front-end for more robust solutions like SQL Server 2000 or MySQL.
SQL Server could easily handle the load, but I don't know how the licensing would work with thousands of users.
MySQL can also handle those sort of loads, and in a number of comparisons has equivalent performance to SQL Server. It also is a lot cheaper -- free under many circumstances, and is probably the database of choice for Web based applications. Do a Google search for MySQL to check out the main site and a number of resources.

BTW, if you do end up using Access as the front end, the answer to pretty well all of the other questions you posted is "Yes".

Denis

Upvote 0
How about if we were to reduce the number of users to 50? would mySQL still be a better solution? The reason I ask is that I am doing this off my own back and I don't think our IS dept will allow us to install any further softs.
You also mentioned that this was free under many circumstances, I have checked out the mysql site, all it talks about is a solution worth minimum €250 is that still the case or am I missing something?

Cheers

KK

Upvote 0
Hi Kermit,

I still think that 50 concurrent users would choke Access -- what do you reckon Norie? As I understand it, you can download the MySQL distribution for free. Depending on how you use it, it remains free for most users but there may be a small license fee for certain types of commercial use. Still NOTHING like the fees you'll pay for SQL Server -- either to buy it or to purchase Client Access Licences for your number of expected concurrent users.
The Help file and tutorials that you can get from the site have got a pretty good rap -- and there are plenty of sites that can help with the details. I typed Access MySQL into Google and got plenty of useful-looking links.

This was the first one that popped up, and it makes the case far better than could be done on a site like this. Check it out, and the resources that it links to, to get a comprehensive understanding of the issues and the possibilities.

Denis

Upvote 0
Denis said:
I still think that 50 concurrent users would choke Access -- what do you reckon Norie?

I've had Access choke with >1 user - that was before I discovered the concept of splitting data from code/forms etc.

Upvote 0
That's for sure! I wouldn't go over 5, even with split front / back ends. It seems that you end up with too many locking conflicts.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back