A value of a cell displays itself differently than what it really is

asopheil

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I was working on my university assignment and I encountered a display error of Excel. Very shortly explaining, the first step of my assignment was turning correct answers to 1, otherwise 0, so I used the formula "=IF(ISBLANK(B4);0;IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B4;B$2));1;0))" and the result is in the screenshot 1. It looks good on the surface, and the actual "values" of the cells are correct however some of those have incorrect display of their actual values. I identified that some cells display themselves as "1" instead of "0", but their actual value is indeed "0" because when I do a formula =SUM(B52:Z52), it results as "7", but all the cells through B52 to Z52 display "1" like in the screenshot 2. Then, I thought ok, this is very weird and written the formula in a random cell =Z52, and just what I expected it returned as "0" but the original cell Z52 displays itself as "1" like in the screenshot 3. Sorry for the long explanation, but my question is that, why did this display bug happen and how can I fix it?
Note: I tried copying all the table and pasting it as values(alt+h+v+v), didn't work.

Attachments

• ss1.png
    ss1.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 12
  • ss2.png
    ss2.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ss3.png
    ss3.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Some array formulas return a result as an array, but they can only display a single value. Therefore, sometimes the displayed result may not match the actual result.
In your simple request, why not using:

=(B4=B$2)+0

return 1/0 if match/not match
?

Upvote 0
Do you have any mention of circular references in the status bar?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back