Access 03 Control Source Help

Mystafet

Board Regular
OK, so I have a form, that is linked to a table. I have numerous fields (Yes/No) that have values associated with them.

I changed the Control Source of the TOTAL field on the form to:
=[Q1 Value]+[Q2 Value]+[Q3 Value]+[Q4 Value]+[Q5 Value]+[Q6 Value]+[Q7 Value]+[BPO Range Value]

This is adding the value of all the fields associated a value to them. However, I need this value linked back to the table field [BPO Score].

Is there a way I can set the control source on the form to still do the calculation, but also show up on the table field [BPO Score]?

If there is not a way to do that, are there any other alternatives to still have all the fields calculated and then show up on the table itself?

I'm not really savy with access, and do not know SQL, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I have been searching, and have seen that if I make the calc a hidden text box, and have VB code to update the [BPO Score] field using a macro.

The problem is, I need it to update the [BPO Score] field when the value in the hidden calc field changes.

The ON CHANGE, BEFORE UPDATE, and AFTER UPDATE all did not work to update the field associated with the table once the other feidl changed.

Text108 = BPO_Score

Upvote 0
Why do you need/want it to update a field back in the table?

In general, it is not a good idea to "hard-code" a value which is the direct result of a calculation from other fields. It can undermine your data integrity (if you change one of the underlying vales, the total may not be updated).

Usually, what you want to do is perform the calculation in a query. You can then use the query as the control source of your form instead of the table.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teodora bocarski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back