Access won't import yyyy-mm-dd data into a Text field.

rickpaulos

Input data is a text csv file from a third party vendor (where individuals enter their own data :eek:).
The text file is comma separated but only text fields with spaces are in double quotes.
2 date fields are in the yyyy-mm-dd format. (update_date, dob)
1 date field is "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" (timestamp, mostly blank)
No 3rd party vendor formating options are available for exporting the csv file.

I am trying to import into an Access database where all fields in my table are text (except the autonumber) using the default wizard settings and it reports "Type Conversion Failure" on one date field (dob) but not another date field (update_date).

My guess is the 3rd date/time field (timestamp) is imported okay because it's in double quotes due to the space between the date & time parts.

I used the Advanced settings in the import wizard to change the date order to ymd, date delimiter to -, leading zeros in dates, 4 digit years, and double quote as text delimiter, which all appear to get applied to every field in the table, to get it to import. The dates are going into text fields so why is MS even checking? Text into text and it still checks for valid date formats?

All fields in my existing Access table are defined as text x 255 columns to cover what ever junk the end users typed in via the 3rd party software. I'd rather deal with the junk after it's imported than have to go back and edit the csv file.

I did check the regional settings on my windows 7 computer (mdy) but the last thing I want is the personal settings on someone's computer (my own included) to determine if this one program works or not. If I change the regional settings, it will surely break some other project.

Some of the other non-date fields have dates entered by the users. Another reason to shut off MS validity checks during the import to text.

Is there any way to turn off the checking? Yeah, yeah, bill gates crew knows how to use my data better than I do so I'm just wrong to question them. grrr.

Is there a practical way to import text into access tables without using the wizard?

rant off.

rick

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
I set up the following as a .txt file:

Date,Date and time
2015-07-16,2015-07-16 01:01:10

I imported the data into Access using Get External Data/Import, Delimited, First Row Contains Field Names
I changed the Data Type to Text for both fields and the data imported without errors - but as text!
I then changed the Data Type to Date/Time in the Design View of the imported table and the data is there, formatted as dates.
Does this help?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back