access/word macro

juster21

Has anybody ever used a macro in Word to auto-populate fields in a word doc with data from an Access database? Somebody at work thinks this is a brilliant idea but I don't know how to do it. Thanks!!

Ex. - The user will select a name from a list and the address and phone number will pull from the database and fill in the address and phone number boxes (or whatever) on the word doc.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Why not just use Word Mail Merge?

Upvote 0
i have no idea...this is all new to me. would the mail merge option do what I am asking?? returning values based on a specific selection?

Upvote 0
Well you can use Access as a data source for a mail merge.

And you can specify criteria for the data.

Upvote 0
is there any website or other source i code use as a reference??
am I correct to assume that I could have a lsit box to choose from (Last Names) and once chosen, the label for First Names could be populated?

Upvote 0
Why not just use Word Mail Merge?

Hello

I have created a user form in word that helps automate the mail merge from a data base in access.

the problem I have is how to populate an sql statement with a textbox from the word user form.

this is what I have created:

Example: Mail Merge a Microsoft Access Query with a Word Document

The following example opens a Word document called C:\MyMerge.doc and runs a mail merge by using the Customers table in the Microsoft Access sample database Northwind.mdb as its data source. The following sample code assumes that the main document for the merge, C:\MyMerge.doc, already exists. 1.Start Microsoft Access and open any database, or create a new one. 2.Create a module and type the following procedure: Function MergeIt() Dim objWord As Word.Document Set objWord = GetObject("C:\MyMerge.doc", "Word.Document") ' Make Word visible. objWord.Application.Visible = True ' Set the mail merge data source as the Northwind database. objWord.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _ Name:="C:\Program Files\Microsoft " & _ "Office\Office\Samples\Northwind.mdb", _ LinkToSource:=True, _ Connection:="TABLE Customers", _ SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM [Customers]" ' Execute the mail merge. objWord.MailMerge.ExecuteEnd Function NOTE: If you want to print the merged document, delete the Execute statement above and add the following four lines of code above the End Function statement: objWord.MailMerge.Destination = wdSendToNewDocumentobjWord.MailMerge.Execute'The following line must follow the Execute statement because the'PrintBackground property is available only when a document window is'active. Without this line of code, the function will end before Word'can print the merged document.objWord.Application.Options.PrintBackground = FalseobjWord.Application.ActiveDocument.PrintOut 3.With the module still open in Design view, click References on the Tools menu. Add the Word 9 Object Library to the list of available references. If the Object Library is not on the list, click the Browse button and locate the file Msword9.olb. 4.To test this function, type the following line in the Immediate window, and then press ENTER: ?MergeIt()
An instance of Word opens, displays MyMerge.doc, and then merges it with the Customers table in the sample database Northwind.mdb.
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Documents.Open FileName:="D:\" & ComboBox1.Text, ConfirmConversions:=False, _
ReadOnly:=False, AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", _
PasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, DocumentDirection:= _
wdRightToLeft
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:="D:\managers.mdb", _
ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _
AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", _
WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _
Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, Connection:= _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=D:\managers.mdb;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="""";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locki" _
, SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `managers` WHERE dereg LIKE 'boss'", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:= _
wdMergeSubTypeAccess
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdMailingLabels
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.SuppressBlankLines = True
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=False
End With

On Error Resume Next

Windows("madbekot.doc").Activate
Windows("michtav1.doc").Activate

ActiveDocument.Save
ActiveDocument.Close
Unload UserForm1
End Sub

in the sql statement:
, SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `managers` WHERE dereg LIKE 'boss'", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:= _

instead of boss I want to use whatever I choose in textbox2.text from the word user form

it shoud be something like:

, SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `managers` WHERE dereg LIKE 'textbox2.text'", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:= _

but I can't make it work....

any suggestions?

I thank you for your reply!

iris

Upvote 0
I dont know what happened here... all I wanted is to put this code:

I have created a user form in word that helps automate the mail merge from a data base in access.

the problem I have is how to populate an sql statement with a textbox from the word user form.

this is what I have created:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Documents.Open FileName:="D:\" & ComboBox1.Text, ConfirmConversions:=False, _
ReadOnly:=False, AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", _
PasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, WritePasswordDocument:="", _
WritePasswordTemplate:="", Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, DocumentDirection:= _
wdRightToLeft
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.OpenDataSource Name:="D:\managers.mdb", _
ConfirmConversions:=False, ReadOnly:=False, LinkToSource:=True, _
AddToRecentFiles:=False, PasswordDocument:="", PasswordTemplate:="", _
WritePasswordDocument:="", WritePasswordTemplate:="", Revert:=False, _
Format:=wdOpenFormatAuto, Connection:= _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=D:\managers.mdb;Mode=Read;Extended Properties="""";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locki" _
wdMergeSubTypeAccess
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = wdMailingLabels
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.SuppressBlankLines = True
With .DataSource
.FirstRecord = wdDefaultFirstRecord
.LastRecord = wdDefaultLastRecord
End With
.Execute Pause:=False
End With

On Error Resume Next

Windows("madbekot.doc").Activate
Windows("michtav1.doc").Activate

ActiveDocument.Save
ActiveDocument.Close
Unload UserForm1
End Sub

in the sql statement:

instead of boss I want to use whatever I choose in textbox2.text from the word user form

it shoud be something like:

, SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM `managers` WHERE dereg LIKE 'textbox2.text'", SQLStatement1:="", SubType:= _

but I can't make it work....

any suggestions?

I thank you for your reply!

iris

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back