ActiveX Option Button Control

smarie123

I created a workbook several weeks ago that was working beautifully until I got on it today and noticed none of the option button controls were working. When I go to properties to try and figure it out the properties don't even look the same. I had originally had to create a group of buttons that were all on the same row and name them all the same name (within the properties function) in order for Excel to recognize that within that group of buttons only 1 should be clicked at a time and have several rows of buttons that all buttons on a certain row have the same grouping. Like I said, it worked beautifully. Now, all of a sudden, the buttons don't even allow me to click them, the properties feature doesn't even give me the option to enter a "group name" anymore, and I also can't enter any more ActiveX Controls even if I wanted to because the error message "cannot insert object" pops up. I've googled the issue several times already and can't seem to understand what people are suggesting to change. Can anyone PLEASE help me!!!!!!

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.

smarie123

Thank you so much!!! When other people try to open this on their computers I order to fill out,if they have those *.exd files will it to allow them to click those buttons?

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Thank you so much!!! When other people try to open this on their computers I order to fill out,if they have those *.exd files will it to allow them to click those buttons?
That is a good question but, unfortunately, I do not know the answer. I think you will have to try it out and see.

smarie123

Ok so I deleted those files and it's still doing the same thing. I guess I'm one of those cases of it not correcting.

smarie123

The "MSForms.exd- Excel8.0" one keeps coming back. The other one was able to delete and say deleted, but this on is a pest. Any ideas?

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
The "MSForms.exd- Excel8.0" one keeps coming back. The other one was able to delete and say deleted, but this on is a pest. Any ideas?
I think it is supposed to be recreated. As I understand the process, those ".exd" files must exist, but there was a conflict with the old (existing) ones and what the update required in them... once you deleted them and ran your code, the fact that they were missing caused new ones to be created... supposedly those new ones were the correct ones that the updated needed them to be.

smarie123

So as I'm searching more and more into this I'm seeing that no updates were actually done on mine until December 11th and none of the update #'s match the ones that people are saying need to be uninstalled. I'm so confused!!!

Rick Rothstein

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
So as I'm searching more and more into this I'm seeing that no updates were actually done on mine until December 11th and none of the update #'s match the ones that people are saying need to be uninstalled. I'm so confused!!!
Are you searching for update related to your particular version of Office (apparently different security updates where used for different versions of Office).

jtakw

When other people try to open this on their computers I order to fill out,if they have those *.exd files will it to allow them to click those buttons?
Yes, everyone having the evil *.exd files on their individual computers will have the same problem, they will need to remove them also.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wedloski

This Week's Hot Topics

• Copy entire row if CountA <>0 to another sheet
    [B]I want to copy entire row if CountA <>0 for column J7:AM7 (headers on J6:AM6) and so on till the last used cell is column D and paste the...
  • Select last used Row in Table
    I have created a Table in a Worksheet which is locked to prevent user errors and protect formula. Some of the cells require freetext entries which...
  • excel workbook: do not allow certain file name
    Hello all, Don't think this has ever been asked before, but how do I restrict file save [Before_Save Event] if the name of the file being saved...
  • fixing problem autofilter
    hello i need help about my code when i search by code in textbox it doesn't show anything this is my data [ATTACH type="full"...
  • “Weight”
    Hi, i’ve got a long sheet filled with weights such as kg,g,L & ml. i can build a formula to convert kg into g and liter into ml. How ever, my...
  • How to capitalize everything before a certain character?
    In column A, I have some text: Hello good day.mp3 Hello good day.flac etc. I'd like to capitalize everything before the period. I don't need the...