Adaptive Conditional Formatting

MrMetrics

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I am currently trying to make a rule that will alert people that an incorrect value has been entered in table use to track metrics. The value entered in column D should equal the sum of values entered in columns G, H, I and J. I can make the rule apply to a single row in the table, but I want to be able to apply it to the entire table without having to make a new rule for every row. I feel like there should be a way to do this but I can't seem to figure it out.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about like
Excel Formula:
=$D2=SUM($G2:$J2)

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi,
So that's similar to what I currently have, but wouldn't I have to make a new rule for every row of the table? When I tried every row of column D was checking against the sum of row 2 instead of their respective rows.

Upvote 0
Hi,
So that's similar to what I currently have, but wouldn't I have to make a new rule for every row of the table? When I tried every row of column D was checking against the sum of row 2 instead of their respective rows.
If that is true, then I am guessing that your formula probably looked like this:
Excel Formula:
=SUM($G$2:$J$2)
Note the "$" in front of the row numbers.
Now, note that Fluff's formula does NOT have those.

If you put the "$" in front of a row or column reference, it "locks" in that row/column.
If you leave them off, it will allow them to "float".
Try Fluff's way, and I think it should work the way you want (select the whole range you wish to apply it to first, then enter the formula as it applies to the first row, and if you leave the "$" in front of the row numbers off, it will automatically adjust for all other rows).

See here for a complete description of range references: Relative and absolute cell reference: why use $ in Excel formula

Upvote 0
Ah, yes, that was exactly the problem. Thank you! Everything is working as it should be now!

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Glad we were able to help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back