Add date to end of cell value on change cell

GarethSteval

Hi everyone

Long time lurker, here's my first post :)

I am struggling with code, I simply can't get this to work. I want to write a macro that when you complete editing text, it adds the date in brackets once you exit the cell. This is for an activity tracking list, so you type the comment and it should automatically insert the date that the comment was logged once enter is pressed.

This is the macro:
ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Value & " [" & Date & "]"

I have tried the code in the following:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change
Self-explanatory
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange
Self-explanatory

The problem is it only changes the cell that you click on, not the one that you were on.
I eventually got both the above to work by referring to the above cell (not the best method though), but they ended up putting the date a million times in one cell (obviously, when it adds the date, it recognises the change and runs it again). Als

Application.OnKey "{Enter}"
It wouldn't run when it was in edit mode (well, I think that's what the problem was)

I tried:

Private Sub PolNo_KeyPress(KeyAscii As Integer)
If (KeyAscii = 13) Then
Call DateMacro
End If

Range("A1").Value = KeyAscii

End Sub

It didn't work nor did it post the button pressed to A1.

I tried searches and I just can't seem to get this to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
You need to set up a "cooperative" between the SelectionChange and Change events. Try putting this in the sheet module...
Code:
Dim SelectedCell As Range

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Not SelectedCell Is Nothing Then
    If Len(SelectedCell) Then
      Application.EnableEvents = False
      SelectedCell.Value = SelectedCell.Value & " [" & Date & "]"
      Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If
  End If
End Sub

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If Target.Column = [B][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3]4[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] Then
    Set SelectedCell = Target
  Else
    Set SelectedCell = Nothing
  End If
End Sub

Note: You did not say what column the comments were to go in, so I assumed Column D... if that is wrong, then change the red highlighted 4 to the column number for your comment column.

Upvote 0
Hi Rick

Thanks so much for the feedback. I tried the code, but it doesn't change anything (though, it also doesn't give any errors). I understand what you have written and don't see any reason for it not working (I tried typing comments in column D, and others btw).

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Hi Rick

Thanks so much for the feedback. I tried the code, but it doesn't change anything (though, it also doesn't give any errors). I understand what you have written and don't see any reason for it not working (I tried typing comments in column D, and others btw).
Did you put the code in the worksheet module for the worksheet that is to have this functionality (not in a general module where macros go)? Make sure you copy everything I posted including that free-floating Dim statement. Just so you know, I tested the code before I posted it and it worked fine for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rick

Sorry, that was my mistake, I put it in a module!

Thank you so much, this is amazing! Can't believe you managed to do this so quickly, I spent a few hours already trying different things.

Thanks for your time!

Upvote 0
Can't believe you managed to do this so quickly, I spent a few hours already trying different things.
I have been programming since 1981... this is not the first time I have encountered the situation you described you needed code for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back