Add multiple new rows with different data

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack8576

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I need add 3 rows to the end of an excel file, and fill columns A-D with certain values
I know the code below can add one row and fill them with values
VBA Code:
 lr = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
Public lr As Long, lr2 As Long
  lr2 = lr + 1
    Cells(lr2, "A") = "One"
    Cells(lr2, "B") = "Two"
    Cells(lr2, "C") = "Three"
    Cells(lr2, "D") = "Four"

Is below the right way to add 3 new rows, and fill each cell in these rows with different values ?

VBA Code:
Public lr As Long, lr2 As Long
  lr2 = lr + 3
    Cells(lr2, "A") = "One", "One", "Five"
    Cells(lr2, "B") = "Two", "Six", "Seven"
    Cells(lr2, "C") = "Three", "Eight", "Nine"
    Cells(lr2, "D") = "Four", "Ten", "Eleven"

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
How you do it will depend on where the data is coming from to populate the 3 rows ?
The below is not the most common way of doing it but given you are using hard coded values I was aiming more for something you would find more intuitive.
I don't know why your code always seems to have Public Variables, typically the variable is contained in and limited to the Sub.
I don't know what value your lr2 is adding, I have not used it below.

VBA Code:
Sub EnterDataLast3Rows()
    Dim lr As Long
    With Columns("A:D")
            lr = lr + 1
        .Rows(lr) = Array("One", "Two", "Three", "Four")
            lr = lr + 1
        .Rows(lr) = Array("Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight")
            lr = lr + 1
        .Rows(lr) = Array("Nine", "Ten", "Eleven", "Twelve")
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
How you do it will depend on where the data is coming from to populate the 3 rows ?
The below is not the most common way of doing it but given you are using hard coded values I was aiming more for something you would find more intuitive.
I don't know why your code always seems to have Public Variables, typically the variable is contained in and limited to the Sub.

VBA Code:
Sub EnterDataLast3Rows()
    Dim lr As Long
            lr = lr + 1
            lr = lr + 1
            lr = lr + 1
    End With
End Sub
Alex thanks for the reply. The reason why I always use Public variables is because this subroutine is part of a bigger macro, I used Public variables since the beginning of this macro project, and have been using them ever since. Below is a sneak peak at the variables that are already defined in this macro.
VBA Code:
Public wb2 As Workbook 'declare variable used on line 18
    Public ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet 
    Public c As Range, c2 As Range, c3 As Range, c4 As Range, d As Range, rng As Range, rng2 As Range
    Public FileName As String, Liner As String, Brevard As String
    Public x As Long, y As Long, lr As Long, lr2 As Long, lr3 As Long, lr4 As Long, lr5 As Long, lr6 As Long, lr7 As Long, lr8 As Long, lr9 As Long, lr10 As Long, lr11 As Long, lr12 As Long, i As Long, i2 As Long, i3 As Long, i4 As Long, i5 As Long, i6 As Long, i7 As Long, i10 As Long, lastRow As Long 
    Public sr As Long, n As Long, rr As Long, Data As String, TargetCell As Range, v As String, s As String

back to my question though, the macro is in excel file 1, when I run the macro, it opens excel file 2 and starts to do a bunch of modifications in file 2.
(There are thousands of these "file 2", they are all unique in their own way)
part of the modification is adding several new rows to the end of file 2, the last of the new row before these 3 new rows is lr11

Purpose of the 3 new rows:
count the number of items containing keywords "Base", "Riser", "Cone", "Top Slab", AND contain "SANITARY" in column O, we will call this number as n

new row 1 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period n-1 F25888A No space space space Purchased space Closure
new row 2 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period (n-1) / 8 F25889A No space space space Purchased space Primer
new row 3 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period Space F25890A No space space space Purchased space Wrapid-Seal

below is what I have so far for this subroutine
VBA Code:
Public sr As Long, lr10 As Long, lr12 As Long, n As Long
Sub WrapidSeal()
    sr = 2
    n = Application.Sum(Application.SumIfs(Range("C" & sr & ":C" & lr), Range("K" & sr & ":K" & lr), _
    Array("*Base*", "*Riser*", "*Cone*", "*Top Slab*"), Range("O" & sr & ":O" & lr), "*SANITARY*"))

With Columns("A:K")
            lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "n-1", "F25888A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Closure")
            lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "(n-1) / 8", "F25889A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Primer")
            lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", """", "F25890A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Wrapid-Seal")
    End With

If Cells(lr12, "C").Value Like "*0*" Then
        Cells(lr12, "D") = ","
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Alex thanks for the reply. The reason why I always use Public variables is because this subroutine is part of a bigger macro, I used Public variables since the beginning of this macro project, and have been using them ever since. Below is a sneak peak at the variables that are already defined in this macro.
VBA Code:
Public wb2 As Workbook 'declare variable used on line 18
    Public ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
    Public c As Range, c2 As Range, c3 As Range, c4 As Range, d As Range, rng As Range, rng2 As Range
    Public FileName As String, Liner As String, Brevard As String
    Public x As Long, y As Long, lr As Long, lr2 As Long, lr3 As Long, lr4 As Long, lr5 As Long, lr6 As Long, lr7 As Long, lr8 As Long, lr9 As Long, lr10 As Long, lr11 As Long, lr12 As Long, i As Long, i2 As Long, i3 As Long, i4 As Long, i5 As Long, i6 As Long, i7 As Long, i10 As Long, lastRow As Long
    Public sr As Long, n As Long, rr As Long, Data As String, TargetCell As Range, v As String, s As String

back to my question though, the macro is in excel file 1, when I run the macro, it opens excel file 2 and starts to do a bunch of modifications in file 2.
(There are thousands of these "file 2", they are all unique in their own way)
part of the modification is adding several new rows to the end of file 2, the last of the new row before these 3 new rows is lr11

Purpose of the 3 new rows:
count the number of items containing keywords "Base", "Riser", "Cone", "Top Slab", AND contain "SANITARY" in column O, we will call this number as n

new row 1 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period n-1 F25888A No space space space Purchased space Closure
new row 2 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period (n-1) / 8 F25889A No space space space Purchased space Primer
new row 3 needs to have these values in the columns A-K :
value from row above a period Space F25890A No space space space Purchased space Wrapid-Seal

below is what I have so far for this subroutine
VBA Code:
Public sr As Long, lr10 As Long, lr12 As Long, n As Long
Sub WrapidSeal()
    sr = 2
    n = Application.Sum(Application.SumIfs(Range("C" & sr & ":C" & lr), Range("K" & sr & ":K" & lr), _
    Array("*Base*", "*Riser*", "*Cone*", "*Top Slab*"), Range("O" & sr & ":O" & lr), "*SANITARY*"))

lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "n-1", "F25888A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Closure")
            lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "(n-1) / 8", "F25889A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Primer")
            lr12 = lr10 + 1
        .Rows(lr12) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", """", "F25890A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Wrapid-Seal")
    End With

Cells(lr12, "D") = ","
    End If
End Sub
found a mistake in the last one, updated code below
VBA Code:
Public sr As Long, lr11 As Long, lr12 As Long, n As Long
Sub WrapidSeal()
    sr = 2

lr12 = lr11 + 1
            lr12 = lr11 + 1
            lr12 = lr11 + 1
    End With

Cells(lr12, "D") = ","
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0

VBA Code:
Sub EnterDataLast3Rows()
    Dim lr As Long
            lr = lr + 1
            lr = lr + 1
            lr = lr + 1
    End With
End Sub
See dropbox link for a "file 2" example that contains Wrapid-Seal

Upvote 0
I suspect that you don't have your head around using variables. Most coders will use Public variables very frugally, the likelihood of updating something and it impacting another piece of code somewhere else is very high, and it will be very hard to trace where the problem lies.

In the above code the whole idea was to increment the last row so you get
last row + 1, then last row + 2 then last row + 3.
You have lr12 = lr11 + 1 3 times, so if lr11 is 10 then lr12 is going to be 11 three times instead of being 11 then 12 then 13.

Being up to lr12 implies that you are working on 12 sheets at once and having to track the last row on each one, this is highly unlikely.

So in the above which is your last row counter. Whichever it is, say lr, the next lines should be lr = lr + 1, so if lr starts out as 10 it becomes 11,12,13.

Upvote 0
I suspect that you don't have your head around using variables. Most coders will use Public variables very frugally, the likelihood of updating something and it impacting another piece of code somewhere else is very high, and it will be very hard to trace where the problem lies.

In the above code the whole idea was to increment the last row so you get
last row + 1, then last row + 2 then last row + 3.
You have lr12 = lr11 + 1 3 times, so if lr11 is 10 then lr12 is going to be 11 three times instead of being 11 then 12 then 13.

Being up to lr12 implies that you are working on 12 sheets at once and having to track the last row on each one, this is highly unlikely.

So in the above which is your last row counter. Whichever it is, say lr, the next lines should be lr = lr + 1, so if lr starts out as 10 it becomes 11,12,13.
thanks Alex. I have to admit, I am very new to VBA and programming in general and I am trying to learn as much as I can.
Sounds like the idea of using Public variables was a bad idea after all, I may have to go back and redefine at least some of these as private.

I am starting to understand your logic or using lr instead of lr 9, lr10, lr11 now
Now you got me questioning my method of adding rows to the end of file and dumping numbers in them.
can you take a look at the Middleman file link below and give me a few pointers ?
specifically from subroutine "EyeboltAndChains" to "Wrapidseal", these are the codes that are adding rows to the excel file.
(currently these are all working codes except for the Wrapidseal one)
What is a better way to redefine these lr values? Is there a better method for adding these rows?

Upvote 0
The way it looks to me is that you need lr to stay the same being the end of your data rows before adding any new rows because you want your sum formulas only to apply to up to that point.

All you other routines in that group can use the same Last Row which I have called lrNewRows.
Dim it in each routine and recalculate it in each routine as in the first 2 lines of the sub below.
If the n in the output rows is meant to use the n in value from the "n =" line then you need to remove the quotation marks around them or it will just insert the text "n-1" and the text "(n-1) / 8".

Rich (BB code):
Sub WrapidSeal()
    Dim lrNewRows As Long
    lrNewRows = ActiveSheet.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    sr = 2

lrNewRows = lrNewRows + 1
        .Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "n-1", "F25888A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Closure")
        .Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", """", "F25890A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Wrapid-Seal")
    End With

' XXX I don't understand what you are intending with this. It is currently only going to apply to the very last row
    If Cells(lrNewRows, "C").Value Like "*0*" Then
        Cells(lrNewRows, "D") = ","
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
The way it looks to me is that you need lr to stay the same being the end of your data rows before adding any new rows because you want your sum formulas only to apply to up to that point.

All you other routines in that group can use the same Last Row which I have called lrNewRows.
Dim it in each routine and recalculate it in each routine as in the first 2 lines of the sub below.
If the n in the output rows is meant to use the n in value from the "n =" line then you need to remove the quotation marks around them or it will just insert the text "n-1" and the text "(n-1) / 8".

Rich (BB code):
Sub WrapidSeal()
    Dim lrNewRows As Long
    sr = 2

.Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", "n-1", "F25888A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Closure")
        .Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", """", "F25890A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Wrapid-Seal")
    End With

' XXX I don't understand what you are intending with this. It is currently only going to apply to the very last row
    If Cells(lrNewRows, "C").Value Like "*0*" Then
    End If
End Sub
The purpose of this code is just whenever column C in new rows 1 and 2 is 0, then value in D would be a comma (dont need to worry about row 3, the value in C will always be 1)

What would be the best way to modify this code to achieve this ?

Upvote 0
Try this:
VBA Code:
Sub WrapidSeal()
    Dim lrNewRows As Long
    sr = 2

.Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", n - 1, "F25888A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Closure")
        If Cells(lrNewRows, "C").Value = 0 Then
        End If
        .Rows(lrNewRows) = Array(Cells(lr, "A"), ".", (n - 1) / 8, "F25889A", "No", """", """", """", "Purchased", """", "Primer")
        If Cells(lrNewRows, "C").Value = 0 Then
        End If
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back