Add multiple values from a table, with multiple criteria pulled from same cell

Dalcassius

I have two tables. The first is a reference for values.The second is a sum of associated values.
A1
B2
C3
D4
E-1
F-2
G-3
H-4

<tbody>
</tbody>

1B, E
3C
4B, C, E

<tbody>
</tbody>
I am trying to find a way to take the values in the second column of the second table, use them to search the first column of the first table, and use the associated values in the second column of the first table to create their sums in the first column of the second table.
I am beginning to think this is out of the scope of a formula. I am no good with VBA script which I why I haven't tried that path.
I started by looking for a way to get VLOOKUP to use multiple criteria, but I can't find a method that uses a single cell with multiple criteria. I then moved on to INDEX/MATCH with CHOOSE, but that was a dead end for me.

I would be happy to even find out this is impossible so I can put it to bed.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
I just saw something about an hour or two ago that would solve this. Let me have a look round...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Special-K99. I played with SUMPRODUCT but was unable to figure out a way to get it to work properly. A co-worker then pointed out it isn't a formula issue, it's a formatting issue.

I broke the second column of the second table into half a dozen in-cell drop downs. I then copied the entire second table into a second page. There I replaced the drop downs with VLOOKUP, which pulled the criteria from the drop downs on the first page, search the first table and output the numbers. The first column on the second page SUM'd the lines of VLOOKUP's, and the identical cells on the first page then copied the totals from the second page. I then hid the second page.

And now the spreadsheet looks pretty slick, if I do say so myself.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aa2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back