Add %,$, ',.. to a group of cells automatically

gfragomeno

Hi All,
I have a quick question: I have a column of cells with fixed numbers. In order to process them I need to add to some the % sign and o others the £ sign. Is possible to do it automatically instead of one by one by hand ?
many thanks!

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Welcome to the forum.

What's the logic for determining which is which?

Upvote 0
lets say I have column A with integer numbers and I want to transform all of them in % numbers, without dividing each cell by 100 and than add the % sign. So if cell A1 has 34, I would like to see 34%. Do you think is possible with a simple option in excel, or I need to create formulas and than copy / paste value ?

Upvote 0
without dividing each cell by 100
Note that percents are really fractions, i.e. 34% actually equals .34, not 34.

You can do this part in one simple step.

- Enter 100 into any blank cell.
- Highlight it, then select all your values in column A
- Right-click, select Paste Special, choose Divide and click OK

Now format column A as a percentage.

Upvote 0
The problem was exactly that: cell A1 showed 34, but in order to have 34% I needed to divide by 100 (hence 0.34) but I couldnt do it via a formula. Your suggestion is exactly was I was looking for. You can divide all cells for a specific number (i.e.: 100) using a funcion of "past special". that's perfect! many thanks for your help!!

Upvote 0
You are welcome!

Yes, there are some pretty cool options under "Paste Special" that many people do not know about, like Divide, Multiply, Add, Subtract, Transpose, etc.

Upvote 0
I ve been using excell a lot for many years and I do a bit of VBA as well, but never seen the "divide" function on the past special menu. Has always been there and I was just too dumb or it is a fairly recently update? I used to use excell 2003 and 3 years ago all systems have been upgraded to excell 2007..

Upvote 0
Its been there for as long as I can remember.
It just one of those things that if you never knew it was there and you never had to use, you might never stumble upon it.

Upvote 0
I ve been using excell a lot for many years and I do a bit of VBA as well, but never seen the "divide" function on the past special menu. Has always been there and I was just too dumb or it is a fairly recently update? I used to use excell 2003 and 3 years ago all systems have been upgraded to excell 2007..
It was there in XL2003... I just checked.

Three years ago... so in 2014, with XL2010 out (maybe even XL2013), your company chose to upgrade to XL2007?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kon123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back