Adding a key (So if someone clicks "P" in the excel, it will automatically turn that cell Purple with the letter P in it)

sheri54371

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have created an employee attendance tracker for my staff using this template: Employee absence schedule | Microsoft Create

The template already has 5 input keys, which I have adapted to be A=Attended, L=Leave, S=Sick, P=Part Day, and W=Weekend/Public Holiday. This means that when the employee writes A in the cell corresponding to their name and the date, it will automatically show up as a green square with A written, to signify that they attended the office that way. Similarly, if they type in S, it will automatically show up as a blue square with the letter S to signal they took sick leave.

I wish to add another key for H=Work From Home, but I am unable to figure out how to do this or what was done in the template to make the original 5 key items. I can see in the top right corner (highlighted yellow) the key item has been labelled, but I cannot figure out what formulas have been input into this tab to make it. Any advice would be appreciated!

1707276812835.png

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Most likely, the template uses Conditionnal Formatting and probably some Data Validation as welll.

Have a look in them repectively and see if that's the case.

Upvote 0
The range the CF is applied to is =$C$9:$AG$13
So you just need to add a new rule for what you want.
Before doing that, define two new range names
=V4=KeyWorkFromHome and =W4:Y4=KeyWorkFromHomeLabel
Merge and center W4:Y4 and fill the interior of V4 with the purple color.

Download amended copy
Employee absence schedule.xlsx

I have amended the first worksheet (January) for you. You should be able to do the same for the rest of the worksheets.

Upvote 0
Nevermind, figured it out! Need to input the conditional formatting into the recipient cells - thanks for the nudge in the right direction!

1707281478294.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back