Adding Aesthetics: Sites? Books? Tips?

DerekK

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Good folk,

I am coming along, slowly but surely, with my Excel VBA and formulas, but I cannot seem to come up with good ideas on making a sharp-looking spreadsheet: it all looks too terribly crude, rudimentary, amateurish.

Does anyone know of sites, books or tips on putting a polish on? I'm not looking for an application or anything like that, that will do it for me: I'm convinced that, if I get a little inspiration, I can take it from there.

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Derek

A thought came to mind a few days ago that Excel on screen and Excel on paper are two different animals - so up front its a good question to ask "will this be printed? If so, B/W or Color, and on what size paper?" As an aside, I use some really ugly colors sometimes because it prints well in B/W - like the flourescent yellow highlight, which comes out a nice light grey (while light grey comes out too dark).

I was thinking of your post this weekend and made a real effort to come up with something new for presentation in a report I was creating. It's not easy! But I managed something a little different and modestly presentable (graphic design is not my strength).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I have jazzed up excel to the point where it didn't look like excel at all. I made all backgrounds and borders in photoshop. It looks great but serves no purpose. I even went as far as having userforms that faded out when closed. I was asked to do it, so I obliged.

Upvote 0
Alas, I once handed in a paper and the teacher removed the binder right before my eyes and handed it back to me :(

"But...my grade...", I wanted to say, "it's going to go down now..." :biggrin:

Upvote 0
xenou said:
(graphic design is not my strength).

Aye, same here.

To answer your (rhetorical?) question, the main part of this will be solely viewed on screen; but I will be printing elements of it.

Nothing's set in stone: if anyone knows some polished spreadsheets, let me know!

Upvote 0
Check out the Perceptual Edge web site and Stephen Few's Show Me the Numbers book. Also most things by Tufte.

Upvote 0
Nice part of the world. :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back