adding date and time in one cell

droscoe

don't think this is a real difficult question but couldn't find the answer in previous posts....

I have the date and time entered in one column (dd/mm/yyyy h:mm) and would like to add 5 years, 7 months, 19 days and 12 hours to this value for a second column. My problem is that when the added 12 hours goes in to the next day (happens for any time > 12:00) it does not add an extra day to the date.

For example, when I add 5y, 7mo,19d, 12hr to 25/01/2002 22:46, it gives 13/09/2007 10:36 when I want it to give 14/09/2007 10:36.

When I add 5y, 7mo,19d, 12hr to 08/02/2002 00:23, it gives the correct date-time of 27/09/2007 12:23 (no rollover in this case).

The formula I'm using:
=date(year(a1)+5,month(a1)+7,day(a1)+19)+time(hour(a1)+12,minute(a1),second(a1)

I thought if the date-time is stored as a serial number (ddddd.tttttt) there would not be a rollover problem but it is not working for me. Any thoughts? Thanks

Dave

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hello Dave, welcome to Mr Excel

The problem you have is that TIME function never gives a value greater than 1 (or 24 hours) so you're not getting 12 hours added as you want, as the time portion of A1 can be obtained by MOD(A1,1) and 12 hours = 0.5 try

=date(year(a1)+5,month(a1)+7,day(a1)+19)+MOD(A1,1)+0.5

Upvote 0
Welcome to the board.

Try just tacking
Code:
+(hour(a1)>12)
to the end of your formula

Upvote 0
I didn't get the mod function to work. But adding +(hour(a1)>12) to the formula did the trick. Thanks for your replies.

Upvote 0
cool. that does work too and is a bit shorter to type. not sure what i mucked up before... cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back