Adding digits to the right of a number so they are all 10 digits long

Matthew Ingram

hi there

i found this thread which nearly answered my question - but i can't get it to work sadly

i have a very long (thousands) string of sequential numbers like this (which is data over time)

<colgroup><col width="306" style="width:230pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I need to make all the numbers the full 10 digit string long - so the 370625 number into 3706250000
(and others like him that even shorter the full ten digits)

because it is a very long column (2389 lines long) i guess it is consideration that the formula works the entire length of the column

i would really appreciate help with this. i am a total excel newbie - an animator actually (wish my dad was still alive he was a hotshot!)

thanks again Rick.

sorry to seem like an idiot - is there a shortcut to pasting the values or do i have to go cell by cell with the function (not shy of hard work but i may have to do this many times more...)
Simplest then would be to select Column B and then click the Insert button on the Ribbon's Home tab (Cells panel)... this will create a blank column next to Column A... put the formula into what is now the blank cell B1, then with cell B1 selected, double click the small black square in the bottom right corner of that cell... this will copy the formula down to just before the first blank cell in Column A. Now do your copy/PasteSpecial/Values and then delete Column B.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
Simplest then would be to select Column B and then click the Insert button on the Ribbon's Home tab (Cells panel)... this will create a blank column next to Column A... put the formula into what is now the blank cell B1, then with cell B1 selected, double click the small black square in the bottom right corner of that cell... this will copy the formula down to just before the first blank cell in Column A. Now do your copy/PasteSpecial/Values and then delete Column B.

that's absolutely magic! works perfectly. thanks very much Rick - much appreciated.

Upvote 0
sorry - one more thing!

is there a simple way to round this new figure (once it has had zeros added to its end) down to 5 or 6 digits?

perhaps in the same formula?

sorry to be a nuisance!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back