adding more lines - when curve is acute

nicksoph

Board Regular
Hi

Im trying to create a virtual Harmonograph based upon Wiki page Harmonograph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The spreadsheet (can be downloaded at http://spotprints.co.uk/harmonograph.xlsx) does go some way to that but I want to use the x,y values in Coreldraw and want to keep the number of points to plot to a minimum and yet have a smooth curve that accurately reflects a real harmonograph.

If I use a regular period of time between steps I come accross one of two problems - either;

a long period between steps works for most of the drawing but produces inaccurate curves when it is asked to draw between two points at acute angles, or
a short period between steps draws even the acute angles accurately but produces so many points (most of them on fairly flat curves) that it makes working with the curves difficult because what I would like to be one curve has to be broken up into several pieces in order for Coreldraw to use them.

I have not been able to solve the mathematical problem of when more points would be useful but think it relates to the tangents of each point compared to the points before/after and wonder if someone might help with that. From reading around this site, I think if the - when to draw extra points problem - can be solved the next stage would be to add lines in the spreadsheet so that the steps at points where the curve is acute are smaller than where it is relatively flat.

Any help would be appreciated.

nicksoph

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chase S

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back