Adding ribbon to main menu

RobSA

Board Regular
Hi Folks,

I have used the custom ui xml to create a custom ribbon, however when I select the options to add macros, the main menu does not show the ribbon name that was created.

How do I go about inserting the ribbon once the ribbon has already been created?

Hi CSmith,

Thank you for your inputs. I will look at this and see how it will make a difference / get the ribbon to be included to the main menu. I see on your button descriptors there is always a prefix mso: and it is perhaps this that creates the link

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Correct. Like I said there are 3 excel files out there for the name/image references as well as 1 for all the mso prefix items.
there is always a prefix mso: and it is perhaps this that creates the link

Upvote 0
I think you're missing something here. The author of that video was showing two different ways of customizing the ribbon. 1) Using the customize ribbon functionality in-app. 2) Using the CustomUI Editor to manually edit the XML of the file. If you used the CustomUI Editor, you merely need to add the 'callback' attribute of the control to assign it what routine to run. Note the routine must be contained within the same workbook the XML is in.

If you keep having a problem, post your XML file/contents.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your feedback and indicating where the actions pertaing to the icons in the ribbon should be stated.

That is however not the problem I am currently faced with.

The problem is that when you slect the customise ribbon the drop down does not show the ribbon name EPOCH and thus when I want to place macros, using the curomise ed ribbon option it does not allow me too. I need to get thename with the ribbon presented showing in the main menu.
I indicated where the macros should be stated/assigned ... so I am confused by your reply.

Upvote 0
Hi GlennUK,

Thank you for your reply.

The assignment of the macros is not the challenge. The idea behind the post is so as to find a way to get the ribbon to show in the main menu, hence me providing the images at your request (see post above)

No disrespect intended. I will get to insert the macros at a later stage but I do not want to do that now, if the ribbon i have created isnt installed correctly and I find myself having other challenges later. I am not a coder and thus I have to glean informtion from yourself and other more experianced people out there.

Thanks again for your support

Upvote 0
I think you're missing something here. The author of that video was showing two different ways of customizing the ribbon. 1) Using the customize ribbon functionality in-app. 2) Using the Custom UI Editor to manually edit the XML of the file. If you used the CustomUI Editor, you merely need to add the 'callback' attribute of the control to assign it what routine to run. Note the routine must be contained within the same workbook the XML is in.

If you keep having a problem, post your XML file/contents.
Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned in my previous posts - it is not so much the fact that I cannot insert the action / callback.It is about getting the ribbon "EPOCH" to show in the "Main Menu" (see images above). Whilst opening the Ribbon / file I have created, is all good, I do not have the option to see it or deselect it.

Upvote 0
AFAIK they're mutually exclusive solutions. The author was showing two ways to do it. You cannot customize the ribbon in-app and have custom icons.

Upvote 0
Having it as a file or add-in is totally up to you. Depends on how you want your environment setup. If you want the ribbon when you open the file only and want to access the grid on it, then it should be a workbook. If you only want a custom ribbon and for it to be available anytime you're in Excel, then it should be an add-in. In both of those cases, you're not going to be able to customize them (assuming you've used a CustomUI to do so) via the 'Customize the ribbon' command. When you 'Customize the ribbon', Excel doesn't look at anything done programmatically.

Upvote 0
Than
Having it as a file or add-in is totally up to you. Depends on how you want your environment setup. If you want the ribbon when you open the file only and want to access the grid on it, then it should be a workbook. If you only want a custom ribbon and for it to be available anytime you're in Excel, then it should be an add-in. In both of those cases, you're not going to be able to customize them (assuming you've used a CustomUI to do so) via the 'Customize the ribbon' command. When you 'Customize the ribbon', Excel doesn't look at anything done programmatically.
Thanks for the explination. I was of the understanding that one can allocate actions to the various images in the ribbon and in so doing what ever the action selcted in theribbon, the macro can then do what it is intended to do - just like the others that ar epresent in excel. Else customising a ribbon would be useless.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back