Adding Sums in an Array

jenniesmith

I am looking for an array formula that adds the sums in a range rather than just summing the sum cells. This is in case a sum cell needs to be deleted. Any ideas?
:rolleyes:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
jenniesmith said:
I am looking for an array formula that adds the sums in a range rather than just summing the sum cells. This is in case a sum cell needs to be deleted. Any ideas?
:rolleyes:

How do you mean? Care to post a very small sample to show what is needed?

Upvote 0
Sure. I have several sections within on sheet that have their own sums and I am looking for a way to add the sums together with out just using a =(a1+a5+...). I would like to add the sums in a way that if two of the sections become combined, then the master sum for the sheet would just add each sum rather than look for a reference cell so if I have 3 sums and then I combine two of the sections the master sum equation adjusts to the now two sum cells. Did I make this more confusing?

Upvote 0
I think I can name the section, but what how would you state the formula to only then add the sums in the range? Thanks to anyone with advice!

Upvote 0
Thanks Jon, but it is more like I have sums D1:d:6, d12:d14, d16:d19... and I would like to recognize every cell in column d that has a cell with in a range becuase I have multiple ranges within Column D. The actual situation is that I have several salespeople and several store types. I want to add the several people within several store types on the same page to get a total of salespeople within the store type, then all the store types together. Periodically, salespeople leave and sometimes two sections are combined which would throw off a sum with specific reference cells. I would like to have the formula look within the range for the occurance of formulas that sum within a range so if the number of cells that sum change up or down the total sum would not have to change.

Upvote 0
Is there anything that says when a store-type, by row ? thinking that you might have a cell on each row for such designation. If possible, download and install [new MS MVP!] Colo's utility at the bottom of the page and give us a screenshot for your sheet.

Upvote 0
It almost sounds like you're doing subtotals and want to SUM the result of the subtotals. Is this fair to say?

Upvote 0
Yes. I can use a subotal system if there is a way to sum below without having to adjust the sum or formula everytime a subtotal is added or deleted above it. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back