Addressing Access Forms

AlexanderBB

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm doing a convert from Excel to Access and wonder if there's any templates or guides to
creating an Excel-like UserForm in Access ?

Also in Excel e.g. "With frmMyForm" lets you address the Forms controls with ".". I can't get this working in Access. Is it
used differently or not available ?

Thanks.

Hopefully I'll figure it out and catch up a bit with you guys. Certainly being able to ask questions
in invaluable and all advice is much appreciated. I'm just start staring with my first popup form and can't even find where to set the backcolor,
Has to be there somewhere... Joe, they don't seem easier to me yet !

May I ask (and apologies if crossposting but I asked this somewhere else and never got an answer), how to you include the "_" character in a text box ?
It works in Access 2003, but 2007 shows a space. I tried escaping it with "__" but that just gave 2 spaces.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I'm just start staring with my first popup form
Less than 2% of all the 1000s of forms I have create do I are every pop up property set to yes/true.

...and can't even find where to set the backcolor,

Access forms have many sections. Form Header, page header, detail, page footer, and form footer. Each has its own property setting(s) for background color.

There are several ways to get there. One way is to click on the section title/header bar and view the property sheet.

TIP: Use a theme so your forms are consistent.

May I ask (and apologies if crossposting but I asked this somewhere else and never got an answer), how to you include the "_" character in a text box ?
It works in Access 2003, but 2007 shows a space. I tried escaping it with "__" but that just gave 2 spaces.

That really is off topic and should be in a new post. I woudl suggest positng a sample databse with a form and instructions on how to duplicate the issue.

FYI: Works fine for me.

Upvote 0
Has to be there somewhere... Joe, they don't seem easier to me yet !
Well, just like anything else, there is a little learning curve. However, once you learn both, you'll see how much easier Access's is. So you may need to invest a little time in learning how to do them (maybe a book or Google some on-line tutorials).

and apologies if crossposting but I asked this somewhere else and never got an answer
If you do Cross-Post, please be sure to provide links to where those other postings are located, per our forum rules (rule #9 here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html)

Thanks

Upvote 0
Noted re cross posting rule. The missing underscore character seems to be the font as others have it (yet the same font has "_" in Excel).
Google is permanently running ! Can you have a vertical scrollbar in a frame/option group? Couldn't resolve that in Google and can't see a property for it.
Also couldn't find a backcolour property for a subform. Google suggested that was set to the Windows theme colours, but that seemed a bot odd.

Upvote 0
Google is permanently running ! Can you have a vertical scrollbar in a frame/option group? Couldn't resolve that in Google and can't see a property for it.
There is no property for scrool bar. If you need a sroll bar then the frame/option group group is not being used properly for a good UI..

Also couldn't find a backcolour property for a subform. Google suggested that was set to the Windows theme colours, but that seemed a bot odd.
The sub form control is a container that holds a forms. You will need to edit the actual form's back ground properties like any other form.

Upvote 0
Hi, The Form was gray and the subForm white. I couldn't see any backcolour property for the sub Form. Is there one ?

My "scrolling frame" is something from Excel. It allowed many different controls to be scrolled as one and enabled a switch between different 'pages' by Frame Visible True/False.
What would Access do to get the same result ?

Upvote 0
First of all, is it OK to continue here, or should I start new threads ?

Assuming the Former this time - I've found binding a control to a table in Access doesn't work how I assumed.

I have 2 check boxes on a Form bound to Yes/No fields in tblMisc.

Their control source, set by the expression builder, is =[tblMisc].[chkWhitA]=True and =[tblMisc].[chkWhitB]=True

In the table one field is true and the other false.

When I open the Form I'd expect one to be ticked and the other not. And if the value was changed in tblMisc
the check boxes would reflect that change.

But when the form opens, they're neither ticked or unticked and have a grey blob showing. If I click on it, it dings at me!
And if I change the table value it has no effect at all on the check box.

Could you tell me where my logic is flawed?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
The reason that you couldn't do any data entry is because you had a calculated value in the control source.

If the form is set to use tblMisc as a record source, then connecting the checkboxes is easy. All you do is pick the appropriate field from the dropdown in the control's properties. As for the True setting, if you want that to apply by default, you do that at field level in the table.
Assuming that they are Yes/No fields, set the Default Value to TRUE and save the changes.

Denis

Upvote 0
Hi Denis, I don't get a dropdown llist. That's why I used the expression builder as that was all it offered.
If I enter what I think is the control source, it doesn't complain but seems to ignore it.
There's 2 yes/No fields in the table and I've set the Default value of one to True and the other False. But when I open the table, both are ticked.

Upvote 0
Is the form's record source set to the table, or a query based on the table? I think it isn't, and that is your problem

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back