Amortization schedule problem

albertamortgageguy

I was wondering if someone can help me. I've just started at a new bank and they have an unusual way to pay mortgages, which is completely different to the usual way that each payment is split into principal and interest. The total mortgage payment goes to the principal and the interest is charged per day and at the end of six months the interest is added back on top of the principle. I haven't been able to find an amortization spreadsheet which will calculate this and I would like to be able to have a side by side comparison with differing payment frequencies and also a chart
thanks for the help
jon

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
As far as I can tell this is no different to any other loan, with the exception that interest is compouned six-monthly rather than monthly. So you can schedule the payments where i = half the annual interest rate & n = 2 x the term in years. This will give the required repayment that is due in every six-month period. The required monthly repayment is simply this number divided by six.

Keep in mind the commonly observed method of splitting repayments between principal and interest is of no relevance to the calculation, nor the financial reality. All that matters is that interest is added to the loan balance and repayments are deducted from the loan balance. It doesn't matter how many components you divide the repayment into, nor does it matter what you call them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Some or many Canadian mortgages have monthly payments but the interest compounds half-yearly. The same concept can apply with bi-monthly payments etc.

You can adjust the interest factor and use PMT; Excel still doesn't have a Pmtc.

Example with 5% =(1+.05/2)^(2/12)-1 calculated rate

=PMT((1+Rate/2)^(2/12)-1,Term*12,Principal,0,0)

2. You could create your own User-Defined Function UDF to make the formula more user friendly.

With the above, you can calculate the monthly payment acccording to many mortgage documents.

You can set up a monthly amortization with the above or prepare your schedule using Excel's arithmetic functions.

hth Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back