Analyzing Purchasing Behavior of Customers Who Purchased a Particular Product

Anders_S

I'm a newbie to PowerPivot, and I'm stumped on how to do something. I'm trying to analyze the purchasing behavior of customers who purchased a particular product. I'm pulling the data from our Microsoft data warehouse (SQL Server 2008 R2), and in PowerPivot (latest version, 32-bit) the data looks something like this:
customer_ID
product_code
product_name
type
date
revenue
web382
Understanding aphasia
webinar
1/5/2012
web100
Pediatric care
webinar
2/12/2013
web074
Hearing aid reviews
webinar
8/6/2011

<tbody>
</tbody>

1) I'd like to add a column to each row that would let me know whether the customer had purchased web382. How do I do that?

2) Right now I'm pulling down all 3.8 million rows of our sales data from our Sales cube. I'd like to filter the data when I'm importing it so I only get the rows I need: all products purchased by a customer who has purchased web382. I can do simple filters – all rows that contain the product_code web382 – but I can't figure out how to do this. Is it possible without learning MDX?

Also, I feel like I'm not grokking PowerPivot. I've got a pretty good background as a programmer and I'm fluent with regular pivot tables, but I keep getting stumped. Is there a concept I'm missing that would help me understand how to do #1?

Thanks!
Anders Schneiderman
American Speech Language Hearing Association

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Anders,

You can add a calculated column that establishes whether that customer has ever bought web382 using:

Code:
=if(COUNTROWS(FILTER(Table1,[product_code]="web382"&&[customer_ID]=EARLIER([customer_ID])))>0,"Bought Web 382",blank())

My immediate thought was that you are probably pushing the boundaries of 32bit with a data set of that size and filtering out the unnecessary customers is a great way to go. Not sure how you would do this using MDX but it can definitely be done in SQL.

Code:
select

s.customer_ID,
s.product_code,
s.product_name,
s.type,
s.date,
s.revenue

from salestable s

left join   
 (select customer_ID, sum(case when productcode = 'web382' then 1 else 0 end) as cstcnt      
  from salestable  group by customer_ID)v on v.customer_ID = s.customer_ID

where v.cstcnt > 0

There is no missing concept as such but the DAX isn't intuitive and the learning curve steep! Once you get into it you'll see that there are a handful of basic patterns that crop up again and again. I recommend reading Rob Collie's book on DAX and Alberto/Ferrari on PowerPivot 2013 (even if you are on 2010).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back