Another swim database with time format woes (mm:ss.00)

PaulE

I am the new record keeper of my local swimming club, and I have inherited several years of poorly recorded results, which I am polishing up.

I need to find a robust method of entering swim times in the format mm:ss.00 or ss.00 (i.e. 1:23.45 or 12.34).
By ‘robust’ I mean that other people, with little or no knowledge of Excel, also have to be able to enter data into the database without scr*wing it over

I have experimented with the custom format mm:ss.00 but I have the following issues;
1) If I set the format to mm:ss.00 and enter 1:23.45 it stores it correctly.
However if I enter 1.23 (one point two three seconds with no leading mm: ) I get 31:12.00
If I enter incorrectly enter 1:23:45 I get 23:45.00
This will confuse anyone not expecting it! Is there a way of specifying how to interpret the input format?

2) If I have a cell containing a time 01:23.45 and I select the cell, 00:01:23 is displayed in the Formula Bar. If I just click on the formula bar and click the spread sheet again, the value in the cell has changed to 1:23.00 - I have lost the fractions of seconds.
I gather this is because excel is storing it as a fraction, but this is not helpful and is very dangerous – I can corrupt the data without realising it!
How do I stop this happening?

Does anyone know how to get around these two issues?

I am considering storing everything as text in the front page and converting to doubles (i.e. convert to seconds) in the main database.
i.e. I have a standard Worksheet where anyone can input data as text (any format; 1.23, 1:23.45, 1.23.45, etc) and I have a macro to error check, convert to doubles and pull it into the database.
However I then have to convert it back to mm:ss.00 every time I create a table or graph – more complexity in something I’m trying to keep simple and user-friendly.

Sorry if this is partially covered in other threads, but none seem to answer my specific issues.

Paul

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I know this is an old post but it is one of the top links google returns when trying to find a solution to this problem so I thought I should reply to it.

I too have found excel does not handle times in mm:ss.00 well and ended up going down the route of storing all the times in text format and converting them to decimal seconds to process.

There is another similar question here https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1072260-adding-percentages-times-mm-ss-00-format.html and I have given my method in a reply to it.

Regards,
Mark Leman

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k_bs

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back