Any help would be greatly appreciated

rslater

To compile certain reports in work we export data into Excel. One of the Excel columns, normally column E will contain data as below:

Customer has error. LOG NUMBER: *Client: JA *Engineer: DW *Date of Work: 21-03-2016 *FPlace: FCH , Customer Contact: John Mileage: 30 Hours: 1 *DESCRIPTION OF WORK CALL ABOUT voltage problem TRAVEL FROM Base TO client ARRIVED ON SITE AT 08:00 AM WORK CARRIED OUT = CHECKED WARNINGS AND SHOWED JOHN THAT YOU MUST ENTER PASSWORD TO ALLOW YOU TO REMOVE WARNINGS ASKED JOHN TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT LEAVE SITE AT 09:00 AM Notes: NO PARTS USED

I need help on a way of checking a whole sheet, finding the word "Hours:" and then the value after it, which could be 1, 1.5, 11.5, etc. I would then like to copy the "Hours:" and the value to a new cell. I have tried FIND and MID but I am having no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
=MID(A1,FIND("Hours: ",A1)+LEN("Hours: "),FIND(" *DESCRIPTION",A1)-FIND("Hours: ",A1)-LEN("Hours: "))

Upvote 0
smallxyz's solution returns the digits only portion of "Hours: nn". The following returns the whole "Hours: nn" phrase.

=MID(A2,FIND("Hours:",A2),FIND(" ",A2,FIND("Hours:",A2)+7)-FIND("Hours:",A2))

My solution requires the hours digits to be followed by a space; smallxyz's formula requires the hours digits to be followed by the string " *DESCRIPTION". Both fail if the string "Hours: nn" is the terminating text in the cell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming that data is in a single cell, and the hours don't exceed 5 characters, try this

Code:

=MID(B1,FIND("Hours:",B1),11)

Which returns this.

Hours: 1 *D
Hours: 1.1
Hours: 11.1
Hours: 1.11
Hours: 2 *D

With a Text To Columns > * as Delimiter you get

Code:
Hours: 1 
Hours: 1.1 
Hours: 1.11
Hours: 2

Howard

Upvote 0
Many thanks gentlemen, the solutions worked. You have saved me a lot of frustration and some hair!

All the best, RSlater.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adiadidas

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back