Anyone ever considered a posting rule for no generic titles? (e.g. "Urgent problem!", "VBA help", "Excel Formula" , "Newbie here")

rlv01

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Curious if this has been discussed before. I like the one they have over at Reddit r/vba

No generic titles​

Provide a specific description of your problem in the title. Unhelpful, unclear or generic titles will be removed.

To avoid "pleas for help" in titles, any title containing the word "help" will be automatically removed.

Do not put things like "beginner" or "novice" in your titles. If you're a beginner, we'll be able to tell.

If your post pertains to a particular host application, please prepend your title with the name of that host application surrounded in square brackets (e.g [ACCESS], [EXCEL], [OUTLOOK], [POWERPOINT], [PROJECT], [PUBLISHER], [VISIO], [WORD], [AUTOCAD], etc).

example: [EXCEL] How do I check if a cell is empty?

A good title helps you get good answers. Bad titles generate few responses and may be removed.

Good titles are:

• Searchable - This will help others with the same issue in the future find the post.
  • Descriptive - This helps contributors assess whether they might have the knowledge to help you.
  • Short - Use the post body to elaborate on the specific detail of your issue. Long titles are hard to read and messy. Titles may not exceed 150 characters.
  • Precise - Tell us as much as possible in as few words as possible (whilst still being a coherent sentence).

It's already in the forum guidelines. Some of us, myself included, will edit titles to remove unnecessary phrases like 'please help' or 'Excel: help with..' but I think making it an actual rule would involve quite a lot of extra work for the moderators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back