Append value from a cell to the end of an existing cell already populated with existing text

Johncrozier

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all
Can anyone help me with this?
I have cells with existing text in them and I want to add a value from another cell to the end of the existing text string.

I then need to drag the formula down to specific cells and it always lookup the data value to the cell to it's left from the same column

Example:
Cell D2 has a value of -1 and cell G2 has text "This text varies on each row and needs to remain the same"
I want to remove the negative character and then add the value from D2 onto the end of the existing text string in G2.
And then copy the formula dowan the colum to G10 (Each line below would change the formula from D2 to D3 and G2 to G3 and so on all the way down to G10).

ANy advice or suggestions on best way to do this greatly appreciated?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Hello @Johncrozier

OK this depends on many factors: is D2 a number or a text?
But try this for now and let us know how it works for you:
1678973032634.png

The CONCAT concatenates text and the ABS give you the absolute value.

If D2 is Text, then look into the LEFT, MID, RIGHT, and LEN functions and I am sure you can get what you want.

Monty

Upvote 0
Hi Monty, thanks for a quick reply!

I can get it to do that using another cell to take the original text and add them together, but I don't want to change the existing text or move it I just want to add the value from another cell to the end.

If my text read "ORIGINAL TEXT HERE" and the other cell has a value of -1, I want it to keep the original text (Which is different from row to row so I can't specify what it is) and make it look like this "ORIGINAL TEXT HERE 1" removing the negative value at the same time.

I don't have a set number of rows so that varies, and the text value also changes for each row so I want to leave it in tact and just append the value from the other cell on the end.

Does that make more sense?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back