Are relative named ranges in Excel volatile?

SimonGandy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,
[I've used this forum for some time as a great source of information - so far, everything I've wanted to know has already been asked and answered, but I can't find anything anywhere about this subject...]

In my workbook, I have a number of sheets with identical structure, performing the same calculations for different datasets. For example, my data units (kg, m, s, etc) are always in column F. I therefore thought I would use a relative named range for column F throughout the workbook. With my cursor in row 1, I created a new named range (called 'Unit_rr') and, in the 'Refers to' window, I wrote:
=!$F1

Having done this, any cell formula on any sheet that references 'Unit_rr' picks up the unit for that row, in column F. The idea was that it would be easier to read and audit the formulae, as I wouldn't need to remember column F contained units, as the named range would make that obvious.
My workbook now has 42 sheets and is 1.2MB, which is small, but its calculation speed is now tangible - there is a pause after every cell entry. I know I could turn off or better control when Excel calculates, but my fundamental question is this: Are relative named ranges such as '=!$F1' volatile?

If they are, I will have to rethink whether they are worth using, after all.
Many thanks indeed in advance for your help.
Simon

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Mixed-relative and relative references like $F1 and F1 are not "volatile" in the usual sense.

That is, their presence per se does not cause their formulas and any direct and indirect references to those formulas to be recalculated unnecessarily.

Even if that reference is in a named range "Refers to" field.

But I am testing with Excel 2010, not Office 365.

I would look for whole-column references like A:A instead of $A$2:$A$100000, for example.

And of course, the use of volatile functions like OFFSET and INDIRECT.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John4520

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back