Array formula returns zero instead of blank

cwrivers

I have this array formula searching a filename for a match of a stars name and if it cant find it its returning a zero instead of blank or error.
{=IFERROR(INDEX(Starlist,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Starlist,[@Name])),0)),"")} This formula would be with a space between first and last name

I have the starlist divided into 4 columns for different naming conventions with a " ", "." , "_" (Quotes added for easier reading) or nothing in between first and last name and different search columns and formulas for each like this
{=IFERROR(INDEX(StarlistNS,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(StarlistNS,[@Name])),0)),"")} This formula would be without anything between first and last name
All the formulas that look in the other columns work just fine, if it cant find a match, it leaves the cell blank. Its just the first one that keeps leaving zeros.

Any ideas why its not working properly?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
It's a little hard without seeing your layout.

My guess though is that you have a blank cell in Starlist. Your INDEX/MATCH() is returning the value of that cell, which will be zero.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back