Array function with N(Range)?

Kelvin Stott

I have the following array formula which finds the minimum reference year (H6:Q6) which corresponds to any of the cells below (in H8:Q12) having a non-zero value:

={MIN(IF(H8:Q12<>0,H6:Q6,9999))}

However, the formula above mistakes a text string (e.g., "a") as a non-zero value, so I tried to modify as follows:

={MIN(IF(N(H8:Q12)<>0,H6:Q6,9999))}

However, the modified formula above doesn't work properly as an array formula.

Also, this simple function below does not work properly as an array function:

{=SUM(N(G23:G27))}

Any ideas why, and how I can fix to consider text strings as zero value within an array function?

Thanks,
Kelvin

Last edited:
Mind you, I still don't understand why {=SUM(N(G23:G27))} doesn't work as a proper array function, by summing up all numerical values in G23:G27.

Perhaps N() just can't work as an array function? Any thoughts?

... but strangely this equivalent array formula does work:

{=SUM(N(IF(G23:G27=G23:G27,G23:G27,0)))}

So why do these two formulae behave so differently?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Yes, it should be 1, because there are non-zero values under N6, which has the lowest value (1) from H6 to Q6.

Note that if you leave N8:N12 blank, the result with the new formula would be 2 (from L6 and M6), even if you leave an "x" anywhere in N8:N12. That's how it should be, but not what my original formula gave.

So all is fine now. :)
Control+shift+enter:

=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12),H6:Q6))

will suffice and is faster.

Note. The MMULT formula I proposed solves a slightly different problem than one eventually cleared up.

Mind you, I still don't understand why {=SUM(N(G23:G27))} doesn't work as a proper array function, by summing up all numerical values in G23:G27.

Perhaps N() just can't work as an array function? Any thoughts?

Hmm, strange. I does so in/when...

Row\Col
G​
H​
I​
23​
3​
x
7​
24​
4​
x
25​

I23:

=SUMPRODUCT(N(H23:H24="x"),G23:G24)

>>

SUMPRODUCT({1;1},{3;4})

>> 7

Upvote 0
Control+shift+enter:

=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12),H6:Q6))

will suffice and is faster.

Unfortunately that doesn't work if all cells in H8:Q12 have zero value, so need the 9999 as default minimum year to account for that:

{=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12),H6:Q6,9999))}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately that doesn't work if all cells in H8:Q12 have zero value, so need the 9999 as default minimum year to account for that:

{=MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12),H6:Q6,9999))}

In Excel defaulting to a positive or a negative 9.99999999999999E+307 would make more sense!...:LOL:

Upvote 0
Agreed, except in this case I convert the year into date format with DATE(year, month, day), so need to limit the year to 9999 otherwise I get an error.

FYI, the overall array function is designed to give the earliest year/date when costs are given below that year, to determine when a project starts, so I just need some some maximum default value (year) to indicate "never".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed, except in this case I convert the year into date format with DATE(year, month, day), so need to limit the year to 9999 otherwise I get an error.

FYI, the overall array function is designed to give the earliest year/date when costs are specified below that year.

How about?

{=IF(SUM(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12)+0),DATE(MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(1/H8:Q12),H6:Q6)),1,1),"")}

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back