Assign Numbers to Letters to get Max Letter

kisshenry

Say you have a column A through F. With A being min, B greater than A, C greater than B, etc. So, then F would be the maximum. Now, what I want to do is return F (the maximum) in another cell. I know with numbers you just use =max(num1,num2…) but how do you do it with letters? I want to avoid making several tables and doing a vlookup kinda thing. I really want to do all of this in a single cell. Help anyone?

<o:p> </o:p>
<table class="MsoNormalTable" style="border-collapse: collapse;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border: 1pt solid black; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> A[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: black black black -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1pt 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> [FONT=&quot]<o:p> </o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> B[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> [FONT=&quot]<o:p> </o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> C[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> [FONT=&quot]<o:p> </o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> D[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> E[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> F[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 13.35pt;"> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> F[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color black black -moz-use-text-color; border-width: medium 1pt 1pt medium; padding: 0in 5.4pt; width: 100.05pt; height: 13.35pt;" valign="top" width="167"> <-- Cell returns Max letter.[FONT=&quot]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Hello kisshenry, welcome to MrExcel

You could use this formula to get the MAX letter

=CHAR(MAX(IF(A1:A10<>"",CODE(A1:A10))))

This is an array formula that needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces appear around the formula in the formula bar

Upvote 0
That is great... I didn't know about the CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER for array formula.

I was trying to get it to work and found this if the letters are lower and upper case

=CHAR(MAX(IF(A1:A10<>"",CODE(UPPER(A1:A10)))))

Although this returns the letter as a capital no matter what.

Upvote 0
Thank sooooo much! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'd asked several friends and other professionals and kept getting solutions that required making tables, nested if/then statements etc. This is very simple and to the point. You made my day!!! ;)

Upvote 0
Another way that I obtained from this site is:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(COUNTIF(A1:A7,">"&A1:A7&"~")=0),A1:A7)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back