assigning a workbook name

patl

Board Regular
is there a way to create a new workbook and assign it a name without saving it? I am trying to do this in a macro. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).

Barrie Davidson

MrExcel MVP
Something like?
Code:
Dim NewWorkBook As Workbook

Application.Workbooks.Add
Set NewWorkBook = ActiveWorkbook

patl

Board Regular
well, I would like to change the name of the new activeworkbook that was created as well. (from "sheet2" to something else). Is that possible?

Barrie Davidson

MrExcel MVP
patl said:
well, I would like to change the name of the new activeworkbook that was created as well. (from "sheet2" to something else). Is that possible?

Change the name of the workbook or worksheet? :unsure: If you're looking to change the name of the worksheet, use something like
Code:
ActiveSheet.Name = "Whatever"

Note - assumes the sheet that's active is the sheet you want to re-name.

patl

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

change the name of the workbook. sorry i mean to say change from "book2" to something else.

L

Legacy 98055

The "Name" property for the "Workbook" object is read-only. There may be a work-around using the VBA extensibility library. Why do yo need to change it? If you created the workbook via code, you should already have a reference to it...

patl

Board Regular
well ultimately the user wont see the code so it is more of a clarity thing. So when the report spits out 3 new workbooks, they have descriptive names. But its not too big a deal. i can work around it. thanks.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arren