Assistance needed with copying field to different places in Excel

FLHawkI

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel Spreadsheet with the following: Date contained in cell A2 and a drop down list in Cell E2. There are 3 possible selections in Cell E2 - Text1, Text2, Text3. If Text1 is selected I want the date in Cell A2 to be copied to Cell H4. If Cell E2 has Text2 selected the date in Cell A2 Copied to H5. If Cell E2has Text3 selected the date in Cell A2 to copy to Cell H6. I keep getting circular reference when I try to use an if statement. For example in cell h4 put IF(E2="Text1",A2, leave the date in the cell alone). Then in cell H5 I tried to put =IF(E2="Text2",A2,leave the date in the cell alone). Circular reference. I hope someone can help?

Found it. Been programming for over 30 years so I knew it was possible. FILE --> OPTIONS --> FORMULAS then check Enable iterative calculation and set Maximum change to 1!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
RangeFormula
Cell Formulas
A2A2=TODAY()
H4H4=IF(E2="Text1",A2,"H4")
H5H5=IF(E2="Text2",A2,"H5")
H6H6=IF(E2="Text3",A2,"H6")

Upvote 0
Wasn't the A2 after all it was because I did not want the date to change if the Text field did not match.

Upvote 0
There is nothing in the formulas @BigBeachBananas posted that should cause a circular error.
It seems likely your circular error is coming from a different cell.

FILE --> OPTIONS --> FORMULAS then check Enable iterative calculation and set Maximum change to 1!

I think changing this setting is a bad idea and that you are just masking the problem,
This is an application level setting and will impact any and all workbooks you are using.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlckr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back