Auto Completer for ComboBox in VBA Form

prajul89

Hi all,

What I want in a Combox is, when a user presses "A" all words in a list starting from "A" should appear in the DropDown List.
Similarly when he adds another alphabet to Combox say "b", all words in a list starting from "Ab" should appear in dropdow list.

This is what I have done till now.

Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_KeyPress(ByVal KeyAscii As MSForms.ReturnInteger)        
    Dim varArray        As Variant
    Dim m_strUserList   As String
    Dim i               As Double
    Dim TheValue        As String
    Dim strSearchText   As String

m_strUserList = "Afghanistan,Albania,Algeria,Andorra,Angola,Antigua and Barbuda,Argentina," & _
                    "Armenia,Australia,Austria,Azerbaijan,Top of Page,B,Bahamas, The,Bahrain,Bangladesh,Barbados,Belarus,Belgium,Belize,Benin,Bhutan,Bolivia,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Botswana,Brazil,Brunei ,Bulgaria,Burkina Faso,Burma,Burundi,Top of Page,C,Cambodia,Cameroon,Canada,Cape Verde,Central African Republic,Chad,Chile,China,Colombia,Comoros ,Congo, Democratic Republic of the,Congo, Republic of the ,Costa Rica,Cote d'Ivoire,Croatia,Cuba,Cyprus,Czech Republic,Top of Page,D,Denmark,Djibouti,Dominica,Dominican Republic,Top of Page,E,East Timor (see Timor-Leste),Ecuador,Egypt,El Salvador,Equatorial Guinea,Eritrea,Estonia,Ethiopia,Top of Page,F,Fiji,Finland,France,Top of Page,G,Gabon,Gambia, The,Georgia,Germany,Ghana,Greece,Grenada,Guatemala,Guinea,Guinea-Bissau,Guyana,Top of Page,H,Haiti,Holy See,Honduras,Hong Kong,Hungary,Top of Page,I,Iceland,India,Indonesia,Iran,Iraq,Ireland,Israel,Italy,Top of Page,J,Jamaica,***an,Jordan,Top of Page,K,Kazakhstan,Kenya," & _
                    "Kiribati,Korea, North,Korea, South,Kosovo,Kuwait,Kyrgyzstan,Top of Page,L,Laos,Latvia,Lebanon,Lesotho,Liberia,Libya,Liechtenstein,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Top of Page,M,Macau,Macedonia,Madagascar,Malawi,Malaysia,Maldives,Mali,Malta,Marshall Islands,Mauritania,Mauritius,Mexico,Micronesia,Moldova,Monaco,Mongolia,Montenegro,Morocco,Mozambique,Top of Page,N,Namibia,Nauru,Nepal,Netherlands,Netherlands Antilles,New Zealand,Nicaragua,Niger,Nigeria,North Korea,Norway,Top of Page,O,Oman,Top of Page,P,Pakistan,Palau,Palestinian Territories,Panama,Papua New Guinea,Paraguay,Peru,Philippines,Poland,Portugal,Top of Page,Q,Qatar,Top of Page,R,Romania,Russia,Rwanda,Top of Page,S,Saint Kitts and Nevis,Saint Lucia,Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,Samoa ,San Marino,Sao Tome and Principe,Saudi Arabia,Senegal,Serbia,Seychelles,Sierra Leone,Singapore,Slovakia,Slovenia,Solomon Islands,Somalia,South Africa,South Korea,South Sudan,Spain ,Sri Lanka,Sudan,Suriname,Swaziland," & _
                    "Sweden,Switzerland,Syria,Top of Page,T,Taiwan,Tajikistan,Tanzania,Thailand ,Timor-Leste,Togo,Tonga,Trinidad and Tobago,Tunisia,Turkey,Turkmenistan,Tuvalu,Top of Page,U,Uganda,Ukraine,United Arab Emirates,United Kingdom,Uruguay,Uzbekistan,Top of Page,V,Vanuatu,Venezuela,Vietnam,Top of Page,Y,Yemen,Top of Page,Z,Zambia,Zimbabwe"

varArray = Split(m_strUserList, ",")

With Me.ComboBox1

TheValue = Me.TextBox1.Text

.Clear

For i = 0 To UBound(varArray)

strSearchText = Trim(varArray(i))

If UCase(TheValue) = UCase(Left(Trim(strSearchText), Len(TheValue))) Then

.AddItem (strSearchText)

End If

Next i

If TheValue <> "" Then

Me.TextBox1.Text = TheValue

End If

.DropDown

DoEvents

End With

End Sub

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
The default behaviour for a sorted ComboBox is to jump to the first item that matches what the user types. Isn't that sufficient?

Upvote 0
This code is quite close of the goal. The procedure works, but there is some visual effect problem.

Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_KeyUp(ByVal KeyCode As MSForms.ReturnInteger, ByVal Shift As Integer)    Dim varArray        As Variant
    Dim m_strUserList   As String
    Dim i               As Double
    Dim TheValue        As String
    Dim strSearchText   As String

m_strUserList = "Afghanistan,Albania,Algeria,Andorra,Angola,Antigua and Barbuda,Argentina," & _
                    "Armenia,Australia,Austria,Azerbaijan,Top of Page,B,Bahamas, The,Bahrain,Bangladesh,Barbados,Belarus,Belgium,Belize,Benin,Bhutan,Bolivia,Bosnia and Herzegovina,Botswana,Brazil,Brunei ,Bulgaria,Burkina Faso,Burma,Burundi,Top of Page,C,Cambodia,Cameroon,Canada,Cape Verde,Central African Republic,Chad,Chile,China,Colombia,Comoros ,Congo, Democratic Republic of the,Congo, Republic of the ,Costa Rica,Cote d'Ivoire,Croatia,Cuba,Cyprus,Czech Republic,Top of Page,D,Denmark,Djibouti,Dominica,Dominican Republic,Top of Page,E,East Timor (see Timor-Leste),Ecuador,Egypt,El Salvador,Equatorial Guinea,Eritrea,Estonia,Ethiopia,Top of Page,F,Fiji,Finland,France,Top of Page,G,Gabon,Gambia, The,Georgia,Germany,Ghana,Greece,Grenada,Guatemala,Guinea,Guinea-Bissau,Guyana,Top of Page,H,Haiti,Holy See,Honduras,Hong Kong,Hungary,Top of Page,I,Iceland,India,Indonesia,Iran,Iraq,Ireland,Israel,Italy,Top of Page,J,Jamaica,***an,Jordan,Top of Page,K,Kazakhstan,Kenya," & _
                    "Kiribati,Korea, North,Korea, South,Kosovo,Kuwait,Kyrgyzstan,Top of Page,L,Laos,Latvia,Lebanon,Lesotho,Liberia,Libya,Liechtenstein,Lithuania,Luxembourg,Top of Page,M,Macau,Macedonia,Madagascar,Malawi,Malaysia,Maldives,Mali,Malta,Marshall Islands,Mauritania,Mauritius,Mexico,Micronesia,Moldova,Monaco,Mongolia,Montenegro,Morocco,Mozambique,Top of Page,N,Namibia,Nauru,Nepal,Netherlands,Netherlands Antilles,New Zealand,Nicaragua,Niger,Nigeria,North Korea,Norway,Top of Page,O,Oman,Top of Page,P,Pakistan,Palau,Palestinian Territories,Panama,Papua New Guinea,Paraguay,Peru,Philippines,Poland,Portugal,Top of Page,Q,Qatar,Top of Page,R,Romania,Russia,Rwanda,Top of Page,S,Saint Kitts and Nevis,Saint Lucia,Saint Vincent and the Grenadines,Samoa ,San Marino,Sao Tome and Principe,Saudi Arabia,Senegal,Serbia,Seychelles,Sierra Leone,Singapore,Slovakia,Slovenia,Solomon Islands,Somalia,South Africa,South Korea,South Sudan,Spain ,Sri Lanka,Sudan,Suriname,Swaziland," & _
                    "Sweden,Switzerland,Syria,Top of Page,T,Taiwan,Tajikistan,Tanzania,Thailand ,Timor-Leste,Togo,Tonga,Trinidad and Tobago,Tunisia,Turkey,Turkmenistan,Tuvalu,Top of Page,U,Uganda,Ukraine,United Arab Emirates,United Kingdom,Uruguay,Uzbekistan,Top of Page,V,Vanuatu,Venezuela,Vietnam,Top of Page,Y,Yemen,Top of Page,Z,Zambia,Zimbabwe"

varArray = Split(m_strUserList, ",")

With Me.ComboBox1

TheValue = .Text

.Clear

For i = 0 To UBound(varArray)

strSearchText = Trim(varArray(i))

If UCase(TheValue) = UCase(Left(Trim(strSearchText), Len(TheValue))) Then

.AddItem (strSearchText)

End If

Next i

If TheValue <> "" Then

.Text = TheValue

End If

.Style = fmStyleDropDownCombo

.MatchEntry = fmMatchEntryNone

.MatchRequired = False

.DropDown

DoEvents

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faraz5023

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back