Auto Population

GDF1983

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am sorry this will look like an essay but the last time I touched Excel in any capacity was back in college and to be fair it was brushed over as hey look =sum(a1+b9) and done job. Anyways I recently been tasked at work with updating some records that they use in Excel and I have been trying to find as much help as I can reading articles etc but this as stumped me

Auto Updating Population

My work spreadsheet is spread over 3 sheets each have their own unique data but share the A and B columns which gives Name and Pay # of the employee. When you inset a row this effect takes place on Sheet 1 but not 2 and 3 , is there any way around this?

I know I could add a row in sheet 2 and 3 manually and then drag the formula down on A1 and B1 to the respective ends but the people I work with are not exactly clued up beyond entering data in the cells.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Welcome to the Board!

hey look =sum(a1+b9)
I always cringe a little when I see people do this! What does "SUM" do? Add. What does "+" do? Add.
You only need one or other, not both. Using both is redundant and totally unnecessary.

You could just use:
Excel Formula:
=A1+B9
or
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A1, B9)

The SUM function is really most useful when summing over larger, contiguous ranges. Like if you want to sum all cells from A1 to A50, you would use:
Excel Formula:
=SUM(A1:A50)

If just summing two cells, simply use:
Excel Formula:
=A1+B9

I know I could add a row in sheet 2 and 3 manually and then drag the formula down on A1 and B1 to the respective ends but the people I work with are not exactly clued up beyond entering data in the cells.
It sounds like what you are really describing is a relational database scenario. As such, a relational database program like Microsoft Access typically handles this much more elegantly than Excel can (as Excel is not a relational database program).

If you wanted to do it in Excel, your best bets are probably to try one of the following two options:
1. Use VBA to automate those steps being doing manually (i.e. when data is added to one sheet, automatically add it to the other and copy formulas down).
2. Try to use Power Query. I have not used it much myself, but this handles database-type operations in Excel. There is a "Power BI" forum on this board dedicated to questions about the Power BI suite of products, including Power Query,

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back