Need to create/source a macro/vba/program that auto populates info based on matching word criteria for community support agency

katfd07

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just started working with an agency that provides a variety of resources to community members in need. They have a lot of information spread out over various documents and l'm trying to make finding and providing the needed info as easy as possible. know this is asking for a lot, but this would be an incredible resource for this department. Please let me know if there are better ways to do what I'm trying to accomplish or if this is too confusing.

I'm hoping to create something in Excel that will auto-populate -- onto a designed form, ona separate sheet - - a list of agencies and their contact info based on a word search. On the current file, each tab lists contact info based on the provided service of the agency (food, housing, mental health, military, etc) and will have an additional cell titled "tags". This cell will list a variety of associated terms (medical, legal, rent, shelter, financial, social, etc). I'm not dead set on those tags being in one cell, but it would be nice if didn't have to have a cell for each tag. Then I would like for the user form to have a search bar of sorts... Or maybe a side bar/key with the tags listed to check or select?... But that might be messy... that would then pull from all tabs the corresponding agency name and their contact info to be populated onto a blank window on the sheet.

One thing to keep in mind is that there will be many agencies that share Some of the same tags, but not all. The program should allow that even though agency A provides 1, 2, 3, and 4 services, and agency B provides 2, 4, 5, and 6, it will still list both agencies if "search" tags 1, 2, 4 and 6. The form could then be downloaded as a pdf and printed for the client. If possible, and this is probably insane, l'd also like it if it could pull folders in the drive that have other printable materials that correspond with the service that is needed. It wouldn't drop the images onto the Excel sheet/form, but instead show the link that will open the appropriate folder in the shared drive. kinda see in my mind a drop down that lists the folders, you click the right one and it pops open? haven't made these folders yet, but if this is a possibility then that's a project for later.

Lastly, I'm trying to find a way for rows to be moved to an "inactive" sheet if we checka box and a cell, or type an x.. some kind of value. That can also move back if we remove the data from the cell. Thank you for any and all advice. I'm probably waaaay above my head but know Excel is powerful!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
Please let me know if there are better ways to do what I'm trying to accomplish
Not the answer you'll want but this is a job for a proper relational database. I'd say that every aspect of what you want into and out of it makes it the best tool for the job. If you tackle that, your biggest hurdle would be the learning curve that is required to get a well designed db.

Upvote 0
Not the answer you'll want but this is a job for a proper relational database. I'd say that every aspect of what you want into and out of it makes it the best tool for the job. If you tackle that, your biggest hurdle would be the learning curve that is required to get a well designed db.
Yes, that makes me quite sad. But I sometimes have unrealistic expectations...

Upvote 0
Well, I suppose what you want is doable in Excel but I'm not sure how efficient or flexible it will be. At least if you get some suggestions I'll get a notification. Maybe there's a template on line that you could adapt. Lots of M$ Access forum help everywhere if you decide to explore that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back