Autodelete a row from protected sheet and move to another protected sheet based on date

SaraWitch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello peeps,

In a protected sheet ("Placements"), I have a formula in column U that calculates a date from a range of other cells. When a date is populated, I want the row to automatically delete and paste into another protected sheet ("Leavers"). I think I'm almost there with the formula below but know I have to change the <> in line 4 (I've tried some date text but it doesn't work).

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
ActiveSheet.Unprotect ("password")
    Dim NextRow As Long
    If Target.Column <> 21 Then Exit Sub
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Sheets("Leavers")
        NextRow = .Cells(Rows.Count, 8).End(xlUp).Row + 1
        Target.EntireRow.Copy Destination:=.Cells(NextRow, 1)
        Target.EntireRow.Delete
    End With
    Application.EnableEvents = True
ActiveSheet.Protect ("password")
End Sub

Any help would be gratefully received :)

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
If the value you are watching for changes is a formula and not a hard-coded value, you cannot use a Worksheet_Change event procedure to track.
Worksheet_Change procedure only fire upon MANUAL updates of cells, not changes due to formulas.

There is a Worksheet_Calculate event procedure, but it works a bit differently. It fires whenever any cell on your sheet is re-calculated (i.e. via formula).
However, the big caveat is that unlike Worksheet_Change, Excel cannot tell/identify which cell's value was re-calculated. All it can tell you is that some cell somewhere on the sheet was re-calculated.
So it doesn't sound like that will work for you, in this case.

You may need to come about this a bit differently.
What exactly is the formula in column U?
We may need to watch the cells that you manually update that affect column U instead. But we would need to know more detail about it before we can make that determination.

Upvote 0
Thank you, @Joe4.

The code in column U is:
Excel Formula:
=IF(T8="",0,IF(CR8>0,CS10,IF(AR8>0,AS8,IF)SE8>0,AF8))))

What I could do (which may actually work better for reporting purposes because I don't want the row to move if the date is not prior to today), is build into the code to unprotect U8 when a date is showing so the user can physically type the date when the row needs to move...? And that code is stumping me!

Upvote 0
That is not even a valid formula.
Rich (BB code):
=IF(T8="",0,IF(CR8>0,CS10,IF(AR8>0,AS8,IF)SE8>0,AF8))))
Here is some advice - don't try to manually type your working formulas or VBA code - use Copy/Paste. That will eliminate any chance of making typos.

It would be helpful to see what this data looks like, and what it might be returning.
Could the value in column U return any date that is NOT the current date, because I do not see anything in your original code checking the value of the date on column U?

I think we need to see/have a better understanding of the data you are working with, and what it might return.

Upvote 0
This workbook is a bit of a beast, but here it is! I've done a bit extra work on it and there now seems to be a code that keeps returning an error (I am trying to create drop down list but show different values in columns AM, AZ, BM, BZ, CM, CZ - I will log this separately).

EA Placements Manager

Sheet EBC "EA Placements (2)" is my working sheet.

Upvote 0
I do not have the ability to download files from my current location.

I've done a bit extra work on it and there now seems to be a code that keeps returning an error
So does that mean the original question you had in this thread has been solved, but you have a different question now?

Upvote 0
Sorry, @Joe4 - no my original question has not been solved. I'm trying to pull some data out but Xl2bb but it's crashing Excel! I shall reboot and try with a smaller section, if that would help...?

Upvote 0
I can't create a mini sheet via Xl2bb - it keeps crashing Excel no matter the selected range. Not sure what to do now...?

Upvote 0
Can you do screen prints of the key ranges, being sure we can see what column letters they are in?
And walk us through an example?

Upvote 0
How's this? Columns AA:AW are repeated for a further five placements.
EAP - Auto delete row from protected sheet and move to another protected sheet.jpg

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back