autofilter more than 2 with wildcard

rfletcher35

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have tried to look to see if this has been solved but could not find so apologies if it is there.

This is the code I am using to filter on 2 criteria
VBA Code:
'Filter for Diary / Calendar

ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$G$90").AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="*Diary*", Operator:=xlOr, Criteria2:="*Calendar*"

Range("A2").Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select
    Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select
    Selection.Copy

However I am repeating myself several time as I have to do this a number of times in my workbook looking for relevant criteria, I have tried the following if this makes sense.

VBA Code:
ActiveSheet.Range("$A$1:$G$10000").AutoFilter Field:=3, _
                                 Criteria1:=Array("*Inbox*", "*Whitelist*", "*Diary*", "*Whitelist*", "*Inbox*"), _
                                 Operator:=xlFilterValues
The above only works with again 2 criteria but I need to have several in there so I can condense my code.

Can anyone please help with this.

Many Thanks

Fletch

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Criteria1:=Array("*Inbox*", "*Whitelist*", "*Diary*", "*Whitelist*", "*Inbox*")
Why are you repeating values in this list?

See if this does what you want. Test with a copy of your workbook.

VBA Code:
Sub AF()
  Dim RX As Object, d As Object
  Dim a As Variant
  Dim i As Long

Const myList As String = "Inbox|Whitelist|Diary" '<- Add more here if required

Set d = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  d.Comparemode = 1
  Set RX = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
  RX.IgnoreCase = True
  RX.Pattern = myList
  a = Range("C2", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).Value2
  For i = 1 To UBound(a)
    If RX.Test(a(i, 1)) Then d(a(i, 1)) = 1
  Next i
  Range("$A$1:$G$1").Resize(UBound(a)).AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:=d.Keys, Operator:=xlFilterValues
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello Fletch,

It appears that you are attempting to filter on strings within a string using a wildcard as the key; e.g. "Bob lost his diary the other day".
As you're filtering on Column C, try something like this:-

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Test()

Dim ar As Variant, i As Integer
    Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = ActiveSheet  '---->The best option here is to use the sheet code.
    ar = Array("Inbox", "Whitelist", "Diary", "Whatever") '---->Add to the array as required.

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
        With ws.Range("C1", Range("C" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
                    .AutoFilter 1, "*" & ar(i) & "*"
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Somewhere").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
        End With
 Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.

Upvote 0
.................or just use Peter's code!

Upvote 0
I will try it now thanks, will this negate the requirement for Wildcards as these are keywords within sentences?

Upvote 0
.. will this negate the requirement for Wildcards ..
It will. As you have found, there is a limit of only two values that you can use with wildcards like you were attempting. :)

.. but do note that if "apple" is a keyword "pineapple" would be included in the filter, just as it would have been with your wildcard code.

Upvote 0
Hello Fletch,

It appears that you are attempting to filter on strings within a string using a wildcard as the key; e.g. "Bob lost his diary the other day".
As you're filtering on Column C, try something like this:-

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Test()

Dim ws As Worksheet: Set ws = ActiveSheet  '---->The best option here is to use the sheet code.
    ar = Array("Inbox", "Whitelist", "Diary", "Whatever") '---->Add to the array as required.

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Somewhere").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
        End With
 Next i

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

I hope that this helps.

Cheerio,
vcoolio.
Hi, Tried this code and it works brilliantly, until I got to one with about 22, is there a limit on how many you can have in this one?

Upvote 0
Hi, Tried this code and it works brilliantly, until I got to one with about 22, is there a limit on how many you can have in this one?
Ignore last comment was making a mistake, however hopefully one last thing, after choosing and copying into another sheet I had it deleting the selected cells following the copy, any idea how I can fit this in please?
My code looks like this so far, as you can see different Criteria will paste into different sheets, after completing all selections it then copies the remainder into another sheet.

VBA Code:
'Filter for Outlook / Email /Diary / Whitelist / Spam / Mailbox / Inbox / Calendar / Diaries

ar = Array("Inbox", "Whitelist", "Diary", "Email", "Outlook", "Spam", "Mailbox", "inbox", "Calendar", "Diaries") '---->Add to the array as required.

For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Emails").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
                    '.Range("A1:G100000").Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Starter", "Login", "Offb", "Leav", "User", "New Joiner", "Set Up", "Licen") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Users").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Inbox", "Internet", "Wifi", "Website") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Internet").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("PDF", "Pay", "Install", "Software", "Invenias", "Invenius", "Sharepoint", "efore", "Iscala", "Power B", "Dymo", "Teams", "Documents", "OneDrive", "One Drive", "Zero", "Expensify", "Keevio", "Sage", "Adobe", "Nitro", "Antivirus", "Excel") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Applications").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Daily Status Report", "Backup", "3CX Phone System", "Subscription Renewal", "Webinar", "Trunk", "Webinar", "PBX", "Weekly Restart", "WatchGuard", "Planned", "Successfully Renewed", "Device", "Datsons", "Device", "Acronis Cyber", "Service Update", "Upgrade Your", "Critical Security", "Security Threat", "Roundworks", "Subscription", "Renew Your", "Avalon IT", "Maintenence", "Now Available", "synchronization", "Services Notification", "Healing", "Alert", "Verification", "Microsoft 365", "Invoice", "CSP", "Invoice", "Invoice") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Notifications").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

Upvote 0
Ignore last comment was making a mistake, however hopefully one last thing, after choosing and copying into another sheet I had it deleting the selected cells following the copy, any idea how I can fit this in please?
My code looks like this so far, as you can see different Criteria will paste into different sheets, after completing all selections it then copies the remainder into another sheet.

VBA Code:
'Filter for Outlook / Email /Diary / Whitelist / Spam / Mailbox / Inbox / Calendar / Diaries

ar = Array("Inbox", "Whitelist", "Diary", "Email", "Outlook", "Spam", "Mailbox", "inbox", "Calendar", "Diaries") '---->Add to the array as required.

For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Emails").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)
                    '.Range("A1:G100000").Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete
        End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Starter", "Login", "Offb", "Leav", "User", "New Joiner", "Set Up", "Licen") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Users").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Inbox", "Internet", "Wifi", "Website") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Internet").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("PDF", "Pay", "Install", "Software", "Invenias", "Invenius", "Sharepoint", "efore", "Iscala", "Power B", "Dymo", "Teams", "Documents", "OneDrive", "One Drive", "Zero", "Expensify", "Keevio", "Sage", "Adobe", "Nitro", "Antivirus", "Excel") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Applications").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i

ar = Array("Daily Status Report", "Backup", "3CX Phone System", "Subscription Renewal", "Webinar", "Trunk", "Webinar", "PBX", "Weekly Restart", "WatchGuard", "Planned", "Successfully Renewed", "Device", "Datsons", "Device", "Acronis Cyber", "Service Update", "Upgrade Your", "Critical Security", "Security Threat", "Roundworks", "Subscription", "Renew Your", "Avalon IT", "Maintenence", "Now Available", "synchronization", "Services Notification", "Healing", "Alert", "Verification", "Microsoft 365", "Invoice", "CSP", "Invoice", "Invoice") '---->Add to the array as required.
    For i = 0 To UBound(ar)
                    .Offset(1).EntireRow.Copy Sheets("Notifications").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3)(2)

End With
 Next i
I used, Range("A1:G100000").Offset(1, 0).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).EntireRow.Delete to delete the rows before

Upvote 0
My code looks like this so far
Are you sure that is even close to what you are wanting? For me, it is resulting in what I would have thought are strange results on some of the destination sheets, including hidden rows.

BTW, about how many rows in the original sheet? Is it anything like the 100,000 rows suggested by
I used, Range("A1:G100000").

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back