Automatacally Select a Julian Date

johnnyb5

Board Regular
I’ve developed a formula which calculates values base on Julian Dates. The formula is working fine except I must manually change the Julian date cell reference monthly. I’d like some help to find a way to automatically select the correct Julian date reference from my list.

The formula is:
=IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))<'REP DAY'!$A$9, VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-'REP DAY'!$A$9, VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))

The Julian date reference is: 'REP DAY'!$A$9

On the REP DAY Sheet is a header in A1, and 12 monthly dates in A2: A13; 16, 47, 75, 106, 136, 167, 197, 228, 259, 289, 320, 350. This list lacks the two digit year prefix (so that I can use it from year to year).

Last month I used the cell reference A8 and next month I will change it again to A10, currently I’m using A9 as shown in the formula.

The variable to determine which date to use is the current Julian date listed in Column G of the current active sheet where the formula is located. So if the current Julian date in cell G2 was 15240 I want it to select the equal value or closest smaller date. Therefore 15240 would select 228.

Does anyone know how to select a value equal to or the next smaller one in a list than the Julian Date listed in G2?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Try this...

=LOOKUP(MOD(G2,1000),'REP DAY'!A2:A13)

If G2 can have a value < 15016, then add a 0 to the top of the REP DAY'!A2:A14 list.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alpha Frog,

It works great!!! It took a few minutes for me to remember to add the $ signs so when I drug it down the correct cells were searched. I've used vlookup before but I've never used just lookup and I thought this was very interesting.
You're time and expertise is appreciated!
Thanks again,
JB

Upvote 0
Alpha Frog,

It works great!!! It took a few minutes for me to remember to add the $ signs so when I drug it down the correct cells were searched. I've used vlookup before but I've never used just lookup and I thought this was very interesting.
You're time and expertise is appreciated!
Thanks again,
JB

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

You could use VLookup as well.
=VLOOKUP(MOD(G2,1000),'REP DAY'!A2:A13,1,1)

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggesting another option. I did add the "0" at the beginning of the REP DAY list. This is what the formula looks like now: =IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))<LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))

Could I trouble you for a minute to explain the "MOD($G2,1000)" as that's new to me as well.

Thanks,
JB

Upvote 0
Looks like some got cut off...
formula: =IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))<LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))

Upvote 0
Thanks for suggesting another option. I did add the "0" at the beginning of the REP DAY list. This is what the formula looks like now: =IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))<lookup(mod($g2,1000),'rep day'!$a$2:$a$14),="" value(right($g2,"3"))-lookup(mod($g2,1000),'rep="" value(right($g2,"3"))-value(right($d2,"3")))

Could I trouble you for a minute to explain the "MOD($G2,1000)" as that's new to me as well.

Thanks,
JB

It returns the remainder of G2/1000 or in this case the value of last three digits of G2

EDIT: In the formula, add spaces around < and > otherwise it looks like HTML code.

</lookup(mod($g2,1000),'rep>

Upvote 0
AlphaFrog, Once again, thanks for the tips. My replies appear to be getting cut off so I'll keep it short. I appreciate your help!
JB

Upvote 0
Spaces added to Formula less than symbol: =IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")) < LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))

Upvote 0
Looks like some got cut off...
formula: =IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))<LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))
The problem is this forum's comment processor sees less than symbol followed by a letter as the start of an HTML tag... to overcome that, simply put a space between the less than symbol and the letter...

=IF(VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3"))< LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-LOOKUP(MOD($G2,1000),'REP DAY'!$A$2:$A$14), VALUE(RIGHT($G2,"3"))-VALUE(RIGHT($D2,"3")))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back