Automatic data entry to a cell based upon another cell's drop down selection

rfalk

I have a workbook which includes a master list of needed bike repairs. It's intended to be "evergreen", with no more than about 20 pending repairs in the queue at any given time. So, as repairs are completed, the Repair # (or row) can be "recycled", and used for a new/ incoming repair.
I also don't expect the vendors (MGF's) will change frequently.

Following the master list worksheet, are approximately 20 numbered worksheet tabs (printable "fax sheets", which coincide with the row numbers, to send various vendors part orders) each of which has cells linked to appropriate rows/cells, on the master, from which to draw their information such that it need not be re-entered on the tab.

On the master, I've created a drop drop menu in the "MFG" (Manufacturer's/Vendor's) cell, from which to select the vendor name in a "MFG list" I've situated in the unprintable area off to the right side.
In the MFG list, I've included other MFG information, such as Fax & Phone numbers, along with what bikes they make.

My desire (if it's possible) is trying to come up with some syntax that, once the Vendor (MFG) is selected from the drop down, the fax & phone numbers would automatically populate (or "drag along" with the MFG selection) in the appropriate cells on the master. Note: I know I could create drop down downs, for those as well, but it's not "intuitive"...unless one already has the fax & phone numbers memorized, for each MFG, one would still have to look to the list in order match a number to a MFG name and type/copy it into the correct cell.

I don't have the vendors in any other database (e.g. - Outlook) from which to try a "LOOKUP" function (as far as I understand it), for example, and need to do this all within the "self-sustaining" workbook. I thought I might be able to accomplish it by means of an "IF" function, but failed after a couple of attempts. I just kept getting errors.

If you have any suggestions, I'd value your input. If it's generally "possible" (and the same syntax would work), I might add a MFG list column(s) - with "Models" - and instead "drive" the MFG selection, fax & phone entries, from the "Model" selection made, since I typically know the Model (when creating / updating the master) and have to select the "MFG" from there.

Thanks in advance!
I can email the file to you on request.
I've also uploaded it to my DropBox (LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0xmoxmwtlbsc7q/WalMart - Bike Repair Worksheets.xls?dl=0) for your convenience.
Sorry, I couldn't get the HTML add-in to work!

Best regards,
rfalk

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
you can do it with vertical lookup.

I took a look at your file and was able to make it work. Take the following steps:
1. Cut the table with vendors fax and phone, ...etc
2. paste it into a new sheet, also i noticed your data is shifted a row up in the original table, so better fix that: you get a table (with headers) of A1 to E10
Now this looks a lot better doesn't it^^
3. next change the data validation in the cell where you want the dropdown for the name. This should become =newsheet!$B$1:$B$11 ,this is where the names of the vendors are.
4. the cell with fax (f.i. cell D7) gets the following formula: =VLOOKUP(D5,Blad1!B1:E11,2,FALSE)
5. the cell with ph (f.i. cell D8) gets the following formula: =VLOOKUP(D5,Blad1!B1:E11,3,FALSE)

Adjust the formulas in the other cells and you are ready to go

Upvote 0
Many thanks Dendro!
I'll give it a try...I knew there had to be a way.
I never seen the "Blad" in any syntax before...you've given me something to study up on!
Blessings,
rfalk ;)

you can do it with vertical lookup.

I took a look at your file and was able to make it work. Take the following steps:
1. Cut the table with vendors fax and phone, ...etc
2. paste it into a new sheet, also i noticed your data is shifted a row up in the original table, so better fix that: you get a table (with headers) of A1 to E10
Now this looks a lot better doesn't it^^
3. next change the data validation in the cell where you want the dropdown for the name. This should become =newsheet!$B$1:$B$11 ,this is where the names of the vendors are.
4. the cell with fax (f.i. cell D7) gets the following formula: =VLOOKUP(D5,Blad1!B1:E11,2,FALSE)
5. the cell with ph (f.i. cell D8) gets the following formula: =VLOOKUP(D5,Blad1!B1:E11,3,FALSE)

Adjust the formulas in the other cells and you are ready to go

Upvote 0
Hi,

Blad means sheet in dutch, i forgot to translate it:p
blad1 should be the new sheets' name

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back