Automatically Extending a Named Range

aaron_brown99

I have a range named "database" that I add to using the built-in data form, and it updates the range when I enter new records.
However, sometimes I need to add records by importing rows from another spreadsheet (hundreds at a time). Is there a way to have the named range extend automatically when I paste rows in like this?

On 2002-04-28 15:38, stevesian wrote:
Aladdin or others: can you help me again?

The first instance of this dynamic named range works flawlessly.

I tried to do it in the same workbook but with a different range.

Since I used DATABASE and ENDROW the first time, I created the following two new names, to reference the table in my Remaining Limits sheet:

EndRowLimits:
=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,'Remaining Limits'!$A:$A)

DatabaseLimits:
=OFFSET('Remaining Limits'!$A$9,0,0,EndRowLimits-8,10)

The range I want to use begins on A9 and is 10 columns wide. The first column A contains formulas. It is a continguous data table (all cells are full of something).

I copied the formulas for all four name ranges to cells. The original MATCH function correctly evaulates and returns a number (last row in the original table). The new MATCH function does not evaluate and returns a #N/A.

Consequently, the DatabaseLimits name range formula can't, I guess, evaluate off an invalid EndRowLimits name range formula.

Anyways: your suggestions are appreciated.

I tried deleted all above rows and making the data range start at $a$1, didn't help (and not desireable). Tried killing the first column, since it contains formulas, not values, didn't help).

Please help!

Thank you.
This message was edited by stevesian on 2002-04-28 15:49

What is the data type of 'Remaining Limits'!$A:$A?

If it's not numeric, is there any other column in the target range which is numeric and changes along with A?

Aladin

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
well, currently, I guess the first column of the Remaining Limits list contains concatenated formulas, based on column B.

Column B is a text column as is column C and D. Column E is the first numeric column.

Are you saying that the first column has to be numeric? This is not the case for my other use of the dynamic named range, previously solved by you.

DO you need further information?

Thanks,
Steve.

Upvote 0
On 2002-05-02 17:05, stevesian wrote:
well, currently, I guess the first column of the Remaining Limits list contains concatenated formulas, based on column B.

Column B is a text column as is column C and D. Column E is the first numeric column.

Are you saying that the first column has to be numeric? This is not the case for my other use of the dynamic named range, previously solved by you.

DO you need further information?

Thanks,
Steve.

Steve,

It's just a matter of computational efficiency. If you can use a column of numeric type, please use that column if it accurately reflects the changes to the data area.

I'd suggest for EndRowLimits instead of:

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,'Remaining Limits'!$A:$A)

one with the E-column if that reflects dynamic changes to your data area:

(1)

=MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,'Remaining Limits'!$E:$E)

If you would insist on using A-column because there is a good reason for it, then the formula for EndRowLimits will be:

(2)

=MATCH(REPT("z",60),'Remaining Limits'!$A:$A)

But, go for (1) if possible. The latter is meant for purely textual/alphanumeric data areas.

Aladin

Upvote 0
Good god, this is beyond my comprehension.
Thanks for your very timely reply, Aladdin. I'll try it out tomorrow.

If you're feeling particularly frisky: do you feel like explaining /howwhy this function works?

Don't worry: I understand if you do not wish to pursue the topic.

I must begin to learn Visual Basic, myself.

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks very kindly.
Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ripvw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back